Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I am too. It's got to be soon.
(although 1GB is already here--it's just a matter of one mouse click and $75 ;) )

Oh yeah, and a dedicated GPU...

Noonzio

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Both iMac and Mac Mini are CPU replaceable.
If you have a core duo, you are all set with any core 2 duo.
I am not aware of anyone using a quad core yet, though.

Yes, but people want to know when a stock standard, buy from the Apple Store, C2D Mac Mini will be released . . its the last of the Apple's to get the C2D so surely its the next to be updated? A refurb base CD MacBook is currently the same price as a new top of line MM . . . and better value in my opinion

Piepz

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
Riga, Latvia
Yes, but people want to know when a stock standard, buy from the Apple Store, C2D Mac Mini will be released . . its the last of the Apple's to get the C2D so surely its the next to be updated? A refurb base CD MacBook is currently the same price as a new top of line MM . . . and better value in my opinion

Yea, you can get a refurb iMac 17" with CD 1.83 GHz, superdrive, 1GB RAM, X1600 and bigger harddrive for about the same as high end mini. Minis are so underpowered un overpriced right now, it isn't even funny anymore..

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Yea, you can get a refurb iMac 17" with CD 1.83 GHz, superdrive, 1GB RAM, X1600 and bigger harddrive for about the same as high end mini. Minis are so underpowered un overpriced right now, it isn't even funny anymore..
I'm hoping that the lack of any interesting Mini updates in the past year or so means that Apple has been working on a whole new design and feature set. Apple will most likely stay with the current form factor which has migrated to the Airport Express and AppleTV. But hopefully, there are some more interesting upgrades inside the box.

And hey, we can always hope for that mid-range desktop box...

YunusEmre

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2005
Santa Clara, CA
What are the chances and when?

Me too. I'd be happy with a C2D With 512MB RAM. I expect the Mini is up for an upgrade soon. I will wait until it gets the C2D then either buy the current model at reduced price or buy the new generation providing they are worth the money for me.

jburrows500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hells Kitchen NYC
Nobody knows

I'm coming to sad realization that for $1,500 I would spend on a 20" imac I can buy a windows based screamer with a 22" HD monitor for the same money.... nice OS, but too few hardware choices.. will wait to see what comes out 2/20 if anything.. if nothing, then i'll be buying new windows machine I am afraid..

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm coming to sad realization that for $1,500 I would spend on a 20" imac I can buy a windows based screamer with a 22" HD monitor for the same money.... nice OS, but too few hardware choices.. will wait to see what comes out 2/20 if anything.. if nothing, then i'll be buying new windows machine I am afraid..

Then buy the windows machine. You don't buy Macs for the hardware, you buy Macs for the OS. If you want to run a bug ridden OS, be my guest. But if you're basing your decision on buying a Mac for its hardware, and then deciding against it on the basis that Apple hasn't appeased you with slightly faster $600 desktops...then you're priorities are all wrong.

jburrows500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hells Kitchen NYC
Then buy the windows machine. You don't buy Macs for the hardware, you buy Macs for the OS. If you want to run a bug ridden OS, be my guest. But if you're basing your decision on buying a Mac for its hardware, and then deciding against it on the basis that Apple hasn't appeased you with slightly faster $600 desktops...then you're priorities are all wrong.

I'm buying the hardware I feel is necessary to run the software for video editing. Buying a basic macbook with 1GB of ram probably isnt the best machine for doing that. I really should be looking at a 20" imac at least, but the dedicated graphics card isnt anything to write home about.. My point is, you can go to any compouter store and have a choice of 50 computers that allow you to choose your CPU, GPU, ram, etc. So unless your buying an extra 2GB of ram to compete with your next door neighbor, your buying it so your video editing software runs smooth.. My point was, and I guess it was lost some how.. was in looking at a Mac, the selection is small and the choices few... for 1500 you can buy 40 different window machines that have better specs than Mac's.. I never said windows OS is better than Mac.. I wouldnt be looking at Mac's if I was a fan of windows.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm buying the hardware I feel is necessary to run the software for video editing. Buying a basic macbook with 1GB of ram probably isnt the best machine for doing that. I really should be looking at a 20" imac at least, but the dedicated graphics card isnt anything to write home about.. My point is, you can go to any compouter store and have a choice of 50 computers that allow you to choose your CPU, GPU, ram, etc. So unless your buying an extra 2GB of ram to compete with your next door neighbor, your buying it so your video editing software runs smooth.. My point was, and I guess it was lost some how.. was in looking at a Mac, the selection is small and the choices few... for 1500 you can buy 40 different window machines that have better specs than Mac's.. I never said windows OS is better than Mac.. I wouldnt be looking at Mac's if I was a fan of windows.

Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I don't even know where to start. What the hell kind of video editing are you doing? Because a $400 Mac mini runs iMovie quite well. Your point about being able to go into the store and have a choice of 50 computers blah blah blah doesn't mean squat if it doesn't run the software you want. You can't run iMovie on those computers, or any variation of Final Cut.

Sure, you can run Sony Vegas, Premiere, or...gods forbid...Windows Movie Maker, but if it's iMovie you want, or FInal Cut you want, then you CAN'T buy one of those 50 craptacular computers. What is your point?

It's like saying...I need a motorboat to get me across Lake Michigan, but all these rowboats are cheaper and have more color choices. It's THAT stupid.

"for 1500 you can buy 40 different window machines that have better specs than Mac's.. I never said windows OS is better than Mac."

We all know this...and we don't care since we use OSX. If it's that there are more types of Windows PCs out there then yeah...your right, so what? Will they do what you need them to do? Sure. Will they do it as nicely as Mac editing software? Probably not. The real question is what SOFTWARE do you want to run? If you don't care about the software, then get more "bang for your buck" on the hardware side and buy a PC, again I'm not sure what you're asking.

Oh, and the video card has nothing to do with video editing by the way...

TheBrazilianGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006

Let's go back to the original topic. Do you want
a Mac Mini C2D with 1Gb ?

You can assemble this one by yourself without much hassle.

If you want to discuss Windows X OSX differences, please start other
thread.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

You cannot compare it like that.

The iMac has a unique design, and some of the premium you pay goes straight towards that.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005

I'm not sure what you mean? I think you have wine tastes on a beer budget though. ANY Mac you buy now will handle the job. Good luck with windows...

LBmacman

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Strong Beach
mini C2D with 1 gig of ram:
get the refurb solo for $479 and pop in a gig of ram for like $80
buy a C2D from newegg for like $250
there you go

Noonzio

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Right, just to everyone who's replied to the OP so far. My reading of it is "when will Apple release a stock Mac Mini with a C2D chip and 1gb of RAM?" . . and this is what I think he's asking for input on. Most people realise that you can take a CS Mac Mini and drop a C2D into it . . but thats not what the OP was asking about!

Some people seem to be getting ultra sensitive on MacRumors (or MacRumours as I keep typing it) these days?

My two cents is that the Mac Mini is due for an upgrade by the middle of March, though I would love it next Tuesday, as I'm going to be in the Seattle the following week and am hoping to order a Mini or a MacBook to get delivered while I'm there . . and as I've no need for the portability of a laptop I'd rather purchase an upgraded Mini . . if Apple release it sometime soon!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.