Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I want one without a AMD GPU. Nvidia with CUDA support please.

I don't think it will happen, but a guy can dream.
I have completely lost any hope for this, as it simply won't happen anytime soon. Would love to be proven wrong, but not gonna happen. I hoped the official eGPU support might provide an acceptable compromise, but in the end it looks like the driver support for Nvidia cards is so flaky that the whole thing isn't really worth bothering with, professionally speaking at least.

I really wanted to consolidate all my work on a single machine, but finally gave up and asked for a work-issued workstation with Nvidia GPUs to do the heavy lifting. It's simply the only feasible solution for ML/DL, and given how many scientists and engineers love working with Mac computers the fact that Apple is completely out of this field is a total bummer.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have completely lost any hope for this, as it simply won't happen anytime soon. Would love to be proven wrong, but not gonna happen. I hoped the official eGPU support might provide an acceptable compromise, but in the end it looks like the driver support for Nvidia cards is so flaky that the whole thing isn't really worth bothering with, professionally speaking at least.

I really wanted to consolidate all my work on a single computer, but finally gave up and asked for a work-issued desktop machine with Nvidia GPUs to do the heavy lifting. It's simply the only feasible solution for ML/DL, and it's a total bummer given how many scientists and engineers in the field love working with a Mac.

Agreed. And it is a shame.

The MBP is the standard issue computer in the Valley. Everyone has at least one. But they suck for AI/ML. I was at a conference recently and talked to group of Apple AI engineers. They all complained about having not being able to train their models on their machines. They were forced to buy Nvidia cards and shove them into Linux servers stuck in a closet.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I will take a closer look. However, on first view it appears to be an AMD effort.
It was certainly started by AMD. I don't know how many other people are working on each GPUOpen project, which are licensed MIT style.
[doublepost=1525711567][/doublepost]
The MBP is the standard issue computer in the Valley. Everyone has at least one. But they suck for AI/ML.
I stopped buying them in 2012, when thinness became the only feature.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I stopped buying them in 2012, when thinness became the only feature.

IMHO, through 2015 they were fine. Great screen, great keyboard. Still expensive and hate the soldered in memory, but there are a few options for a larger SSD. 2016 and later, memory and SSD soldered in. And the keyboard is at best divisive.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
IMHO, through 2015 they were fine. Great screen, great keyboard. Still expensive and hate the soldered in memory, but there are a few options for a larger SSD. 2016 and later, memory and SSD soldered in. And the keyboard is at best divisive.
I stopped looking at no 2.5" .

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I was at a conference recently and talked to group of Apple AI engineers. They all complained about having not being able to train their models on their machines. They were forced to buy Nvidia cards and shove them into Linux servers stuck in a closet.

This makes me even more surprised that Apple wouldn't sponsor a TensorFlow (and friends) backends to Metal... They have the API, they have the hardware, they have the resources. Its a shame that the management is ignoring this obvious gap. Sure, they have a lot of built-in ML APIs, but that doesn't really help engineers who work with open-source tools...

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Can you unlike a thread?

Yeah, you can:

E427BCDE-C919-4DAC-BAAD-C5824954A005.jpeg

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I am completely different. I pulled all the 2.5 SSDs from my desk side systems main drives. Now only use NVMe drives and boot/application drives. Only use 2.5 SSDs and 3.5 rotations as storage.
A laptop should have an M.2 and a 2.5" at a minimum, obviously.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
A laptop should have an M.2 and a 2.5" at a minimum, obviously.

I don't think you will ever see a 2.5" or M.2 in a MBP in the future. Way too big to fit into the Apple thinness obsession. Yet somehow Dell manages to retain an M.2 socket, and memory sticks in their top of the line 15". Hmmm.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
As the topic says.

Who is waiting for such MBP? There are many people who say they are fine even with their 2012 MBPs cause they see only slight improvement in specs nowadays.

When will it come out?

Are you going to go with it in 2019 or in 2020 when the MBP gets redesigned again (fixed keyboard)?

I'm probably going to buy a MBP now after WWDC + apple care and sell it in 3 years buying 2-nd gen redesigned one. (first gen normally sucks). So, first purchase in 2018 and second in 2021. Does it sound to you as a good plan? I'm going to do so cause I need a mac now, and ofc I want it too ^^.

Kind regards

2012 is kind of pushing it IMHO. Even if you can't tell a speed difference the CPU's in the new ones are way better at batter management. You can clearly see the differences in smartphones and specially with Android devices more so then with Apple devices. similar specs and even the same battery capacity but companies claim the newer one will last longer. So even though you might not see a difference but between battery cycles and better battery management in the cpu and OS you'll get a laptop that will last way longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.