waiting...for a new headphone plug?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.bee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Could it be that the new macbook pro's are waiting on the announcement of the iPhone without a headphone plug? It makes sense to finally give the macbook pro's a lightning plug (and drop even some usb-B?).

If the new MacBook pro's come out now with an old headphone plug, the only device being able to use the EarPods is the iPhone (and maybe a new iPad)
    If they announce macbook pro's now with lightning plug and no headphone plug it will be too obvious for the new iPhone's and that's something they certainly not want.

After all, macs are only 12% of the entire apple revenue.

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

They are going to be pushing wireless as the alternative, as they are not stupid and know that lightning has no chance at becoming the new standard.
    The new MacBook Pros will have a headphone jack.

3. jerryk, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

They had better not drop the earphone plug A lot of people use their macs with non-Apple/Beats head phones that have wire only connection. And having to buy a USB-C adapter to use headphone would be unacceptable.

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

There'd be no reason, even far fetched to pull the 3.5. Angle I always come from is MBP kind of seated, imo, as the only other option for video/audio people to get some hard work done besides MP.

And in audio (music or video audio)...3.5 is very much alive. Even wireless mic systems at some point use wired on the backend. Mic to recover over the air...reciever wired into to something. 3.5 or xlr...and very common for xlr to output to 3.5 at some point (via preamps or adapters).

Its not killing space, and it doesn't add overhead to the system. Not really doing this on the phones imo either ...but in the spirit of generosity I will throw those people a bone. I argue with them enough....I already know if phones go down this route I won't upgrade phones till mine is basically dead as a door nail really.

Its the smallest of the connectors really eyeballing. Width, length or height when put against the other connectors.

Internally, my usual bit of look at external audio/preamp setups from the audio/video world. They have some bulk....apple is not putting this in the shell. No weight bene, no space bene, no gains really come from it being removed. A least to any sane person. Apple has electronic anorexia of late that concerns me....wished they'd see a shrink about that disorder to be honest.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The main reason for changing is the difficulty of providing waterproofing while keeping the headphone jack, removing it and having only one port on a phone to waterproof is a sensible engineering decision.

It would be pointless to remove it from macs though.

6. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Ohh come on, i want a mac which i can use in the rain and poolside without worrying about water:D

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the MacBook is fanless so you may get your wish one day, but the pro needs those air vents.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

But, that would imply a waterproof screen, rubberized keyboard (and trackpad?), and chassis and might make it thicker and heavier. Not something Apple would every do.