Waiting for a new MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MrWingman, Apr 11, 2012.

  1. MrWingman macrumors newbie

    Apr 11, 2012
    Hey everybody,

    I´m a German student and I will go to Texas in July for 6 month to write my BA thesis. I already own some Apple products and since my old computer has some major issues I need a new, lighter one. So I plan on buying an Air. But I heard that a new version could come out soon. What do you guys think? I need it in September...should I wait, or should I just buy one?

    Wingman :)
  2. stark4, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

    stark4 macrumors 6502

    Oct 14, 2008
    if you can wait until september than you should wait.. its approaching end of cycle
  3. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

    Aug 26, 2010
    Honestly, you can get a refurb Air from 2010...that's the one I had. Its still pretty fast. Because I'm in this position, I'd be more than able to wait for Ivy or Haswell...I'm not sure how Sandy is because of the graphics-Ivy should be much better. Also, more power efficient. But it is probably a step up on both counts from the 2010.
  4. tekno, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

    tekno macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2011
    For the last few years, all Apple's non-iOS products have had such minor improvements, I don't think its worth putting off buying if you need it.

    Chances are you'll wait ages til the new ones are released and it'll transpire that you've held out for some rubbish like a slightly faster CPU, an extra 30mins battery life and a second Thunderbolt port to accompany the other one you'll never use.

    The Air is aready a great laptop - I'd recommend buying whenever you want.
  5. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I would say wait until about a month before you need it. Also, you could consider a 2011 refurbished model from the Apple Store.

    The reason I say about a month before is you want time to set it up and make sure it's working well for your needs.
  6. silver8ack macrumors regular

    Jul 22, 2010
    OP Doesn't need it until September.

    I say wait. I am. Ivy Bridge is reason enough to wait.
  7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

    Mar 13, 2012
    Apple has 2011 refurbs listed on the Apple Store now. No need to buy a 2010 refurb.

    Though I agree with the others, wait. If you don't need it until September, then there is no point in buying it now.
  8. molala macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    You'll save money by buying it in Texas (unless you want the German keyboard). As others have said, wait as long as it is practical.
  9. MrWingman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks everybody! Unfortunately I can´t buy it in Texas....I would have to pay taxes as soon as I arrive back in Germany and that means +20% of the price...

    I think I´ll do it like you said, I will wait as long as I can but I leave Germany in July so I will have to order it from a german store and ship it to Texas :rolleyes: great...
  10. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

    Aug 7, 2007
    Are you absolutely certain regarding the additional tax in Germany? In Sweden, if you buy a computer in the states and actually use it before bringing it home, they cannot charge additional tax. We only pay taxes on brand new imported goods, not used ones I believe. Hence why I asked my dad to unbox my new iPod Touch and use it before bringing it to Sweden. Similarly, if you buy a computer in the states, use it in college, you should not have to pay taxes when returning to Germany. Moreover, would they be able to prove that you did not buy your MBA in Germany? :)
  11. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2012
    Why would you have to pay taxes? Just carry it on with you. The sniffer dogs aren't trained to smell new I.T hardware....

Share This Page