"Waiting for activation" screen after Unlock? Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fripp, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Fripp macrumors newbie

I was given my dad's iPhone 3g to sell for him after he upgraded to a iPhone 4. I wanted to unlock the phone to sell. After attempting to unlock an iPhone 3g with Ultrasn0w, I am getting a pop-up that states "Waiting for activation -- this may take some time." The sim that is in the device is my dad's old (now deactivated) sim.

I do not have a working sim to test this with (i have an iphone 4 w/ micro sim) and I'm unsure if this "waiting for Activation" is normal without a working sim. When I connect to itunes i get the "Set up your iphone" screen. Not having unlocked/jailbroken a iphone 3g before, I'm not sure if this is what I should be seeing.

To summarize:
    1) Is the "Waiting for activation -- this may take some time" screen normal when a working sim is not present?
    2) If so -- I can sell the phone, confident the buyer will be able to put in his sim (t-mobile, at&t, etc) and it will stark working without issue?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Reboot the phone, then put any sim in it to activate it.

3. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Thanks for the ultra-fast reply, DH lizard!

I rebooted the phone and put in my Dad's old sim (deactivated w/ he purchased iphone 4) again. Same issue. By put "put any sim," do you mean any current working sim?

Meaning, even though I am currently getting the "Waiting for activation -- this may take some time" screen -- I can still sell the phone, confident the buyer will be able to put in his sim (t-mobile, at&t, etc) and it will stark working without issue?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Any sim from the official carrier (like AT&T) should activate the phone whether it's a currently active sim or not. If it won't then my guess is you have a problem.

Can't you borrow a T-mobile sim or active AT&T sim ? ALl the phones I ever jailbroke and unlocked for sale all worked with my AT&T sims as well as T-mobile sims.

5. Fripp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that there was a problem, dhlizard. I re- jailbroke (this time using pwnage) and re-unlocked using ultrasn0w. I'm no longer seeing the "waiting for activation" message. :)

I still see the "Set up your iphone" screen when I connect to itunes, but I suspect that is correct and if you go thru the setup you just add your music, etc -- but you don't have to go thru the activation process like with a "normal" iPhone purchase. Can you confirm that is correct?

Also is there a way to tell the phone is properly unlocked without a good sim card? I mean is there any indication under settings or something? For example, how would apple tell if a handset is unlocked in order to deny warren coverage?

Thanks a ton. Just trying to save myself and the buyer the pain of a situation were they receive a phone that is not actually unlocked.

Thanks again!