'Waiting for activation, this may take some time'

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pez555, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

so my phone was working fine before i updated to 4.1, where i am now greeted with the message 'Waiting for activation, this may take some time' on my homescreen - with no service.

anyone ever had this and how long is it likely to stay?

2. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

3. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

sorry, should have stated, im in the UK and on O2!

thanks, will see if O2 have something similar

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd call 02.
    How long you been waiting so far inactivated?

5. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Yes reboot, turn off and on, I had the same problem the day I got my ip4 called o2 and they siad the network was very busy and said a reboot might bump your activation request to the top of the queue again

6. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

still no luck.

the thing is, my contract sim works fine in it. its just any pay as you go sim that doesn't (i have tried 3 different O2 sims). Im now assuming you have to activate the sim through O2 before it starts to work on the phone?

ive restored it a few times with the same luck, nothing happens, just says searching and then no service.

7. Gooden macrumors member

I've had this problem since Saturday, I updated to 4.1 in the week and was fine till the weekend...going to O2 tomorrow.

Let me know if you get it sorted, I've tried everything!!

8. wayox2 macrumors newbie

ive got the same problem, ive just bought a second hand iphone 3g off of ebay and got it unlocked and put my sim card in and it says "waiting for activation" and in the top left corner it said "searching" and now it just says "no service" dunno if this means it cant activate it or something :/ i guess i'll just leave it for 24 hours and see what it does!
    it not even a new sim card, it works fine in other phones so im not sure why its doing it :)

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you buy it JB and software unlocked or factory unlocked?

10. ChadiPhone macrumors newbie

Still Waiting (for activation)...

I have an iPhone 3G. I jailbroke & unlocked with UltraSn0w. Got error 1015. Everytime I put Tmobile SIM card in it, it says it "Different SIM detected". I tried a few different things I read online, which left me with "Connect to Itunes with USB" (and NO slide for emergency) screen... So, I restored from 4.2.1 back down to 4.1 with PwnageTool.

Now I'm back to 4.1 & 06.15.00 BB and it stilllllllll says: "Waiting for Activation - This may take some time." ... I've been here before... I've Restored through iTunes back up to 4.2.1 several times before, attempted to unlock through Cydia (which appeared to go fine), took AT&T SIM out (again), put in TMobile SIM (again), which always leads back to "Different SIM Detected"... and "No Service" in the upper left.

Anyone have Any ideas?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it?
    Just activating it with an AT&T sim will not let you use your Tmobile sim.

12. ChadiPhone macrumors newbie

Hi, thx for writing...
    Yes - I installed ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it.
    I've tried Activating with ATT SIM in it & --- just 30 mins ago I tried (something different) creating the ipsw & going through the whole process with the Tmobile SIM in it... and every time I run into the same brick walls... Either: "Different SIM detected.." (with Tmobile SIM in) -- or -- "Waiting for activation. This may take a while." (with ATT SIM in)...

I'm using a 4.1 restore (if that makes a difference... but I've tried 4.1 & 4.2.1)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make much sense.
    You have the ipad BB 06.15.00 and you install the latest ultrasnow version 1.2 right?
    Activation has nothing to do with it.
    If it lets you into the homescreen then you can unlock wether hactivated or officially activated.

14. ChadiPhone macrumors newbie

Yes, I do have the ipad BB, I have ultrasnow installed, the problem that keeps me from using the phone to make calls is that when I put the Tmbile SIM in, it says, "Different SIM detected" and it won't let me make phone calls... It only offers a slide button for "Emergency Calls Only"...
    so, I end up trying everything again..., I've just been going through the process again & again. Maybe I shouldn't be redoing everything... I should be looking for a way around the "Diff SIM detected" (Emergency Calls Only) issue...

Any ideas for a way around that?
    I just put the AT&T card back in & the phone (with ultrasnow installed), and it says Waiting for activation...
    I just took AT&T out & put Tmobile back in... (with ultrasnow installed), and it says, "Diff SIM detected" (Emergency calls only)...

I just turned phone on/off... plugged it into computer/iTunes... and itunes is syncing the apps to the phone... it offers "Update" & "Restore"...
    but the home screen of the phone still sits there with "Waiting for activation".... and "No Service" in the upper left (cause I have the ATT Sim in).

This is driving me nuts... What do you think I should try next?

15. ChadiPhone macrumors newbie

With the ATT Sim in the phone, I have opened Cydia & reinstalled Ultrasn0w 1.2 several times.... no luck.
    Still says "No Service"(with ATT sim)... and it still says "Different Sim Detected" (with Tmbile sim) with only Emergency calls available...

Reinstalling Utrasnow hasn't helped...
    Any "next step" advice from anyone to get this phone to work with Tmbile SIM?

Thx

16. ChadiPhone macrumors newbie

In my research I have seen this problem happen with almost every version of unlock software.
    There usually ends up being a way to fix this (ATT SIM = "Waiting for Activation - No Service" ......&..... TMobile SIM = "Different SIM Detected - Emergency Calls Only") ..... but this round hasn't had a fix yet for this BB (06.15.00) using 4.1.
    Has anyone heard yet of a way to fix the Different SIM detected when a TMobile SIM is put into a Pwnage Jailbroken & Cydia Unlocked phone?:confused:

17. charlie3483 macrumors newbie

iphone 3g Waiting for activation, this may take some time

Guys please help

I bought this second hand iphone 3g of a mate, I know its locked to vodaphone, I have bought a PAYG vodaphone sim, placed it in the phone and it has said now for the past 2 days "Waiting for activation, this may take sometime" can anyone help me please with what to do, I am very new to the iphone and am at a loss, have I been sold a dudd, do i need to register my sim card? it does say on the phone that it is 3g

18. lynettepr macrumors newbie

I've just got an I-phone 3G (4.2.1) and I'm trying to use it with t-mobile. I did the jailbreak and installed ultrasn0w with Cydia. When putting the t-mobile sim card I get the "Searching..." message on the screen... I waited for a couple of hours but nothing happened. Does anyone know how much time does it take for the IPhone to register t-mobile's network?