"waiting for activation-this may take some time"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Alleyoop, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

I finally restored, jailbroke, and unlocked my 3G 3.0 iPhone. When ever I power it up a message pops up saying, "Waiting for activation. This may take some time."

I am worried that this means that I somehow did something wrong when restoring in iTunes and it sent a message somewhere saying the phone has to be activated with AT&T. And it is in line to be activated.

Could this be the case? Or could this just be because my prepaid sim *still* isn't working even after unlocking? So maybe the phone is searching for a network connection...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    When jailbreaking did you choose "activate" or not?

3. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

I don't remember choosing activate. I used redsn0w and ultrasn0w.

I was having trouble for days restoring and jailbreaking; it was a mess. SO I may have; it is hard to remember since I did everything so many times...

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Mine has been waiting for four days now.

I'm just going to restore to official 3.1 firmware, then restore to JB 3.1 to see if that fixes the problem.

I was on 2.2.1 (02.28.00) baseband, and went straight to 3.1 (baseband didn't update). I didn't check the activate box because I'm using an official SIM.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

2.2.1 had the 2.30.03 baseband. That's pretty sweet if your baseband didnt update though

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

02.28.00 baseband isn't compatible with 3.0.x and above firmware

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Kinda worked that out when I was getting no signal :p

And it's 02.28.00 because I kept it all the way back from 2.2, updated to 2.2.1 with PwnageTool, then to 3.1 with PwnageTool again. So I still have the 2.2 baseband.

Going back to Apple firmware now, so I get the 3.0 baseband, then using PwnageTool to update to 3.1, and still be able to unlock.

I don't need to be unlocked right yet, but when my 12 months free internet runs out I might be switching network.

Am I right in thinking officially going to 3.0, then using PwnageTool to create a custom firmware for 3.1 will allow me to use ultrasn0w?

8. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

Still, what does this message mean? I still have it everytime I start up. One forum said to pop out the sim and put it back in again and it may stop. That didn't work. I don't even remember being able to press activate anywhere with redsn0w and I installed ultrasn0w twice to make sure I did it right. If you press a button anywhere in ultrasn0w that says activate and it looks like what you are supposed to do, then I am sure I did it.

Maybe I pressed activate in iTunes when I was restoring? What would that mean to me? I jailbroke and unlocked it after I restored it, so could AT&T try to activate it in a case like this?

Anyway, just curious what this message means!

9. taki143 macrumors newbie

Stuck after spirit jailbreak

I am stuck!
    I have a jailbroken iphone 3GS (using spirit) running 3.1.3
    but it is not carrier unlocked so I cant use it as a phone at all just as an ipod touch...
    I screwed up when I updated through itunes without updating my shsh.
    Is there anyway I can go back to 3.1.2?
    Could there be a fix in the future?
    Fuzzyband doesn't work cause I have a newer Boot loader
    Help me someone!

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot unlock. Without 3.1.2 hashes, you cannot go back, and even if you could go back, the baseband wouldn't be downgraded so you still could not unlock.