Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
I have 2 iMacs - but despite them having identical hard drives only ONE is due a hard drive replacement. (Apple Seagate Replacement Hard Drive Program)

Both have Applecare

As there is a week's waiting list at my local Apple Store to see a "genius", I spoke to Apple and they have arranged for Amsys to visit and replace the 1tb hard drive on site. I thought that was great service.

Unfortunately Amsys have yet to contact me. I've just rang the number and they are closed for the weekend.

Why am I waiting days, just for a phone call to arrange date for the visit?

Any other experiences out there?

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
Because they're closed and you aren't as important as you think you are.

Very unhelpful reply.

This iMac is subject to an international recall, because of a faulty hard drive installed in my machine. Surely, inconvenience to myself should be at an absolute minimum.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I think your sense of entitlement is a bit high here.

Your hard drive is still working, your machine is still working. Amsys are closed until Monday, and your iMac will still work until Monday - or indeed until Amsys come and pick it up. The fact that you can't quite grasp the fact that most businesses don't operate weekends isn't their fault - what are you expecting to happen? Somebody to open up the repair shop just for you?

Recalls are not because every product is "broken", but because a higher percentage than normal are faulty.

Amsys

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
London
Heya..

I will alert our workshop to your enquiry as a priority, to ensure that you are called first thing Monday morning.

Unfortunately we are closed on the weekend, if we could be open we would!

Hope you have a good weekend,

Charley

Amsys

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
Heya..

I will alert our workshop to your enquiry as a priority, to ensure that you are called first thing Monday morning.

Charley

Amsys

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I appreciate you aren't open at the weekend, but Apple took my info on Thursday.

Speak to you soon

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
Heya..

Charley

Amsys

Hi Charley - still waiting for the call

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Hi,

Thanks for that.

I appreciate you aren't open at the weekend, but Apple took my info on Thursday.

Speak to you soon

Slightly impatient, Apple took your details on Thursday and because Amsys didn't call you within 24 hours, and then it was the weekend, your moaning? Maybe I'm missing something but the HDD recall isn't due to them spontaneously combusting and risking your life? I'm surprised they didn't cancel all weekend time off for their employees and helicopter in their top crack squad of engineers to rectify this catastrophic situation......oh wait a moment, your HDD is working and showing no signs yet of failing?

Tugpilot30

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Waiting for AMSYS to contact me re-hard drive replacement

I think that you all missed the point.He lives in MAIDENHEAD - WOW
He is important.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Amsys give great service, come down from your high horse a little.

They will get to you as soon as they are able too.

They are fast efficient and friendly. My Pro has been looked after by them on 3 occasions. Which isn't bad as I live on Cornwall.

A hard drive replacement isn't vital is it. The drive is still working therefore you are on a list. If it dies between now and getting replaced you will be moved up the list. Although don't do anything to help it fail. They will catch you out.

Shylad

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Hi,

I have been waiting for Amsys to get in touch too. They called me today to arrange a pick up, but as they still don't have the replacement drives in yet, I opted to hold on to my iMac and send it in once the drives arrive.

Hopefully the drives won't take too long to come and they don't keep me waiting ages before they get in touch again.

Shy.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
When they replace your drive, do they copy or clone your info from the drive they are replacing to the new drive?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It's just a swap, no copying. Apple and all resellers work this way, although some resellers/service centres may offer cloning as an additional charged for service.

This is why Apple tell you to make backups, and ask if you have done so before commencing a repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.