Waiting for another network (U.S.)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fr0, Jun 21, 2010.

?

Are you holding off on getting iPhone 4 until its on another network in the US?

1. Waiting for Verizon

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Waiting for Sprint

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Waiting for T-Mobile

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Getting it on AT&T as soon as I can

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. I don't care what network it's on. I need it now!

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Waiting for a regional carrier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fr0 macrumors member

I'm just curious how many of you are holding off on iPhone 4 until it runs on a non-AT&T network

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Kind of. I was going to switch to AT&T when it seemed like Verizon wasn't even close to getting one. Now.... I don't know. I'm going to wait a month or two, if I hear Verizon will get one soon enough, I'll wait. If nothing, I'll probably switch.

3. C8XY macrumors 6502

are ALL phones in america locked to a network?

4. CT1stMaxedOut09 macrumors member

Once it comes out for Verizon though I am gone!!! lol

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

almost 100% sure each phone is manufactured to only work on the network you buy them from.

6. christyn macrumors 6502a

w/ AT&T.. but will leave if it ever comes to Sprint..

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No. Infact, ATT was involved in a class action suit and ATT decided to settle by allowing an unlock for every phone on their network EXCEPT the iPhone.

As a consumer, I think it's incredibly unfair and difficult to really get anything done in this country as long as stuff like the above (exlusions) are allowed to happen.

As a capitalist, I sympathize. Considering that ATT runs a temporary loss on the subsidies of the phone, had to make major adjustments to their network to accomodate specific features such as visual voice mail, and allows Apple to take a bite of the revenues means that the device, while it commands a premium and a cult like following, cost ATT considerable upfront cash and requires them to be liable to whatever Apple promises (though they don't always deliver).

And the above is why i'm not at all expecting to see a VeriPhone now or in the near term (5+ years). What we forget is that Apple went to Verizon first, laid out their terms, and were shown the door. In all these years, the terms havn't changed; Apple gets a cut of the revenue, demands dedication from ATT via sales, support etc for their customers, and dictates upgrade terms. The only thing that has changed is Apple showing the world that they can create a phone that is incredibly engaging because of the unique experience it provides. On this, I must mention the App Store and iTunes. Even though these features weren't prevalent when the phone was initially announced and released, it simply does not jive with Verizon's walled garden philosophy of them being the sold provider of media on their branded phones. I can't imagine Verizon giving up the opprotunity to get in on the revenue, so we could expect to see "iTunes" and the "App Store" right along side "vCast" and ... i dunno..."VZ App Store" lol.