Waiting for Apple to drop the remote requirement for games thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by patohi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. patohi macrumors regular

I can't believe this ridiculous requirement for Apple TV games still exists!

Most games are unplayable with the remote to begin with!
    It's like giving someone a frying pan to comb their hair!
    But Apple likes to prolong mistakes or poor decisions usually to show that they were not at fault.

The remote is absolutely horrible for games! No developer should waste their time getting games to work with it. There isn't any other device out their that has a similar remote, so porting a game made for the Apple remote is pointless.

So what do you think? How long will they stick with this policy?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I like the policy, glad they have it. For those that prefer, there's always the compatible controller option -- what's the problem?

3. patohi thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is its misleading!

People are spending money on games that will be deeply disappointing when used with the remote! Most of the games work great with the nibus controller, but trying to use the remote gives you an awful playing experience!

It is also holding back the Apple TVs potential. With so many great iOS games out there, only a fraction can be ported to the Apple TV due to the requirement.

Having a more games would sell a lot more Apple TVs.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2016 ---
    I think it would be a good idea to also list games here that are unplayable with the siri remote!

I think Edge and Edge Extended are pretty much unplayable with the Siri remote.

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Hopefully those people will learn to read the game descriptions and differentiate between 'controller compatible' and 'controller recommended'. Additionally, maybe the learning experience could include getting refunds for games that they aren't happy with. If none of that satisfies these people, then they may want to return their AppleTV's and go with some other platform better suited to their preferences. If only these people had taken time to research the ATV4 capabilities prior to purchasing it o_O

5. patohi thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! You pretty much just cemented why there shouldn't be a remote requirement. Refunds!? Ha! Like Apple would ever do that!

They should just have a controller only section or label on the game page. Actually a pop up before purchasing explaining that the game needs a controller to play would be best.

Not to mention I'm sure developers are probably unhappy with getting bad App Store ratings based on the horrible playing experiences people are having with the remote.

Afterpulse is another game that is broken and unplayable with the remote. Although it's amazing they even got the game working with the remote.... But it's simply awful!

6. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I am guessing the requirement is there to prevent devs to steer you to specific controllers. Forcing unsuspecting consumers to buy a brand that only benefits said dev.

7. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I would actually prefer Apple adopted the xbox controller, it's got longevity and it is one of the best controllers ever made.

8. jonen560ti macrumors member

jonen560ti

i doubt it. there are virtually no game companies that also supply controllers. tvOS also has a standardized controller framework. meaning it is essentially agnostic and any controller that follow this framework are functionally identical. it also makes very little sense for a dev to only be compatible with one brand as that will turn away a lot of potential buyers who do not own that controller.

i think a more likely explanation is that uneducated consumers will buy games without checking if it supports the included remote and complain about the Apple TV being broken or a scam. trust me, people would be that dumb

9. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Shows that you haven't done your research. Over the years I've had a few iOS purchases refunded, without issue. I've had one tvOS purchase refunded back when I first got the ATV4 -- didn't care for the game at all, contacted customer service, refund issued within a couple days. You might want to check into things before attempting to present them as facts.

It sounds like you really dislike your ATV -- you should think about returning it and moving on to their forums :rolleyes:

10. jonen560ti macrumors member

jonen560ti

Problem is, any game that is impossible to port to the remote wont come to the app store. and there`s a lot of genre`s that will not be easily ported to the remote. 3d platformers, first person shooters, Real time strategy, third person adventure. almost any game that involves controlling more than 2 directional axes. Apple should make it easy to port games to tvOS if they want it to succeed as a game platform, this requirement means that they may have to completely rework controls and game mechanics to make this work. which is an added cost to what is already a risky investment for game companies considering porting to Apple tv

11. benjitek, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

If gaming were a primary consideration during my prior-to-purchase product research, I might've chosen a different platform. Media streaming is what I want in a media streaming box -- the thousands of games already available for ATV is icing on the cake. There are other options on the market better suited for gaming, however, when it comes to streaming media they have limitations that are not a concern when it comes to ATV4, FireTV, and Roku. There isn't a streaming box out there that is going to do everything for everyone -- research the one for you based on what features are most important.

It's all about researching the product that best suit your needs -- doesn't make sense to buy an ATV4 and then whine about the Siri Remote compatibility requirement, it's clearly mentioned in the majority of ATV4 reviews. It's like buying an iOS device and getting worked up because the games all require touchscreen compatibility...

Screenshot of Google Chrome (4-16-16, 4-46-15 PM).png

12. patohi thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to see the Apple TV be as successful as it can be. I don't know why you wouldn't want to see it be a more successful product. The iPhone and iPad owe a lot of there success to games, it's very important that Apple get this right.

The new Apple TV has always been marketed as a gaming device! The Apple TV App Store is mostly promoting games! It would be different if Apple didn't demo any games or not promote games on the Apple TV webpage, but it is very much considered by Apple as a device for "console quality games". And I think being a game device is even more important since the apple tv streaming service fell apart....
    The remote requirement is holding back potential and was a last minute decision before the Apple TV went on sale.

13. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Then you should be pleased, Apple considers it to be a successful product -- yaaay! :p

It's not successful for you though, so you should return it and go with something else -- maybe keep an eye on it just in case they change the Siri Remote game compatibility requirement at some future date ;)

14. patohi, Apr 16, 2016

patohi thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, not at all. This product was released alongside a new controller(nimbus). With imagery and marketing that has included the use of these controllers. Controllers were always intended to be used as way to play games for the Apple TV. Allowing games that only work with this traditional controller interface is hampering support for the Apple TV platform.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2016 ---
    I guess you forgot the title of this thread? It's an obviously bad restriction and one that will be reversed. Apple just sometimes takes a little to long to reverse their wrongs. Who knows maybe I can get Taylor Swift to help out.

If that's all you got left to say, then by all means troll on....

15. benjitek, Apr 16, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Just because someone thinks you're wrong isn't a reason to be snarky or accuse them of being a fellow troll :confused:

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I don't doubt people not reading clear instructions. I saw it everyday at a former workplace.

17. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

I recently requested a refund from Apple for a game which was unplayable on my ATV4 with the supplied remote (I forget which) and they refunded me, no problem...

18. marty1980 macrumors 6502

More games would be developed for or ported to Apple TV if there wasn't a requirement to make sure the game is playable with the remote.

The ATV is a potentially awesome micro games console but held back by games made for touch screens. If Apple really put some effort behind this thing it could fit very well between Smart TVs and full-powered games consoles.

One of the easiest things Apple can do is to allow controller only games. Simply pop up a message that warns the user of this requirement before payment.

Secondly, have a way to view and buy apps via the web or, at the very least, through other iOS devices.

I know ATV has always been the abused step child of iOS with more potential than use, but with an full App Store on the thing and hardware comparable to PS3/XB360 consoles, it's about time to see if there's a larger market out there. I'd really like to see what indie developers could do with this thing too!

19. patohi thread starter macrumors regular

This makes an even better case to drop the remote requirement.
    If they didn't know they needed a controller for the game then they can get a refund no problem....

20. patohi thread starter macrumors regular