Waiting for Apple Watch 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hawkizrok, Apr 23, 2015.

1. hawkizrok macrumors newbie

In the past I've waited for the 2nd generation (iphone, apple tv and ipad) devices. Seems like Apple makes a big leap from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I'm curious if anyone else is waiting for the 2nd gen Apple Watch.

Beyond battery life improvement (that is a big deal) are there other rumored or desired enhancements?

2. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Yup. Waiting excitedly for the 2nd gen.

And I'll be enjoying my 1st gen while waiting. :cool:

3. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

this for me too :D

4. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

Same! haha:D

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

6. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Buy 1st gen, enjoy it for a year, sell it for half price, buy 2nd gen, repeat.

7. hawkizrok thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm strongly considering breaking my rule of not buying the first gen.

8. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Rules & :apple: screens are meant to be broken ;)

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I posted a thread on the Alternatives to Apple forum about Samsung teasing a round watch in an announcement today.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-teases-upcoming-round-gear-smartwatch/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

That would mean all the other tech companies (LG, Moto, Huawei, Samsung) except Apple and Pebble will have converted to round designs. I wonder if Apple will ever make the leap, or if they are content to be different by sticking with a rectangular design?

10. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

it'll ultimately be other companies copying apple in the long run, especially Samsung. Others gotta have a different design right now otherwise it'll be mistaken for an AW :p

11. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Exciting, now I can have my mediocrity in circle shape too!

12. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I broke my rule and I'm pretty happy about it after trying it on. :D

13. hawkizrok thread starter macrumors newbie

I just put in my order.

----------

Steve Jobs was a big fan (obviously) of the rounded square. That's how the iphone, app icons, and ipad have all been produced. I doubt they go to a circular design.

14. antdub22 macrumors member

antdub22

Why do people always say there waiting on the next gen ? Of course it's going to be better . Guess what else that 3rd gen should be better than the 2nd and so on and so on

I'll be enjoying this watch and when 2 comes out I'll get that as well

15. iregret macrumors 6502a

This'll be my first, first generation Apple device. About the iPad 2, and the iPhone 3G. I don't know if waiting till the second generation model is as important as it used to be.

16. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

The rectangular style is much more usable in my opinion.

Samsung already has a rectangular watch.

----------

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Not to mention the iMac face, the Mac mini, Airport/Time Capsule etc. there's tons of rounded rectangles throughout Apple products.

17. EW800 macrumors 6502

I am definitely waiting for the second generation. I suspect that a lot will be learned from the first generation and there will be fairly significant improvements next round!

18. chrise2 macrumors 6502

People will probably get 2nd gen Sports with blue bands before people who ordered the 1st gen 38mm space grey sport.

19. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I can understand holding off for the next generation of iphones, computers, iPad, etc. but the 1st gen watch is not the device to hold off on...it is a fun iPhone complimentary device to enjoy right now. The newness of first gen Apple product lines are a great experience even though there is room for improvement. All the first gen products I have owned were great experiences (yep, even the 1st gen iPhone with its completely crappy reception and lack of apps was fun to own)....then in future iterations I skip generations; but the 1st gen, flaws and all, is worth the fun. And also, there is a rumor going around that it may be a long time before they update to avoid alienating the Edition owners. I also heard an update may include just replacing the sensors on the bottom of the watch with a new sensor plate.

I mean seriously, are you just going to sit around for 2 years or so and watch other people play with their Apple Watch? lol

Just my opinion but hope you get one.

Edit: Oh good, just read your post where you put in your order, awesome! Have fun!

20. EW800 macrumors 6502

That has crossed my mind more than once! :)

21. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

The biggest improvements I see the watch needing right now all relate to software/interface elements, which of course don't require new hardware to address. I don't know what great advancements people are expecting to come in just 12 months for a device whose battery is limited to the size of a couple almonds, but I think they're going to be sorely disappointed they bothered to wait.

22. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I had a first gen iPhone and iPad. The upgrade to the 3G was obvious and desperately needed, but at no point did I regret owning my g1 iPhone (in fact I wish I hadn't sold it). The iPad was good enough to last me until the first retina iPad, and was another purchase I absolutely did not regret.

While I'm sure that the gen 2 watch will have some features I want, unless it has week long battery life with an always on screen, I'll probably wait to gen 3 or 4 before upgrading. And in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this watch, and I think I won't be selling this one.

23. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Exactly, no one is aware of any other smart watches ;)
    except maybe the pebbles for its fun name :p

24. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No one knows for sure but one person familiar with Apple is predicting version 2 to be out in 2017. You prepared to wait that long????

25. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lol Sony is already on their third generation(square) and no one mentions them at all.