Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Came here cuz Haswell is obsolete. Looking forward to TB3 USB4 and 16 hour battery.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
So to summarize. The Broadwell MBP will have:
- 100% faster GPU performance from NVIDIA
- 30% more energy efficient CPU than Haswell (thus alot more efficient than Ivy Bridge )
- Thunderbolt 2.0
- Possible DDR4 if we are lucky.

This is the MBP you are looking for, not Haswell with integrated graphics.
Please wake me up, when your dream ends. Thank you!

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I want a 21" rMBP with TB9, USB 5.0, 1 TB RAM, 5 PB SSD, LTE-A (1 GBit/s) and 360 days battery life, all for 199 US$ (including a 500 US$ iTunes/MAS gift card).

Dude you actually think broadwell will come with LTE-A? Even Jim Dalrymple said we wouldn't see LTE-A until 2018 with WiMAX. But since the 2018 MBP battery isn't rechargeable, you'd have to trash it after 10 years anyway.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Dude you actually think broadwell will come with LTE-A? Even Jim Dalrymple said we wouldn't see LTE-A until 2018 with WiMAX. But since the 2018 MBP battery isn't rechargeable, you'd have to trash it after 10 years anyway.

I apologize for going completely off topic, but I just love the image of the 2018 MBP running some kind of non-rechargeable fission core. Even better if it occasionally needs vent huge blasts of steam in order to avert a miniature nuclear meltdown. A whole new meaning for "risk of fire or burn if mishandled."

On-topic: Broadwell should be an impressive year for the MBP line, but I personally don't expect to see the return of the dGPU unless NVidia can really do something amazing (including bringing compute power back compared to GK104/107 parts). I do think the late 2014 refresh is when we're most likely to see IGZO, which is another boost for battery performance.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Dude you actually think broadwell will come with LTE-A? Even Jim Dalrymple said we wouldn't see LTE-A until 2018 with WiMAX.
Yeah. Why not!?

http://www.zdnet.com/intels-lte-chip-set-to-put-pressure-on-qualcomm-7000019672/

“Intel's LTE chip set to put pressure on Qualcomm

Intel has been demonstrating just how serious is has become about mobile over the past few months. Not only are its mobile Atom chips much better at doing more with less power, but the company also quietly acquired the Fujitsu's Arizona-based Semiconductor Wireless Products, a division specializing in LTE.

Intel is also rumored to be working on another chipset, called XMM 7260. This chipset, which is expected to ship during the first half of 2014, will offer support LTE-Advanced which will bring with it new features such as faster download/upload speeds and carrier aggregation.”

See also:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/prototype-3g-macbook-pro-actually-had-a-magsafe-antenna/

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I'm pretty much jumping into every processor upgrade waiting thread until I get a rMBP with IGZO. If it doesn't come with Haswell, then I'll be finding a new home here in this thread for the next year (or longer if Broadwell doesn't make it out next year).

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
Can't wait

I'm so tired of waiting for Haswell and I'm going for the current model, so I'm available for a new waiting and I'll wait for Broadwell...;)

Can't wait! :D

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
Hahah, dedicated GPU.. yeah right..

----------

It is, actually. Skylake and Skymont are the last codenames on the publicly-known Intel roadmap. IIRC, they have been for the last couple of years. Anybody here heard of codenames beyond Skymont?

Yes, but all I can tell you is that Skymont is no longer the name.

offgray

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
Depending on how good the Haswell updates are compared to my 2010 13"MBP, I may or may not be a long time resident in this thread. So Hi, guys. :D

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The Broaddwell MBP looks to be an excellent upgrade, especially for GPU performance.

- Maxwell NVIDA GPU offers 2 times more performance per watt than the Kepler Architecture which are for example the 650m & 750m card. (expected in March 2014)

But aren't we assuming they're dropping NVIDIA and relying only on broadwell GPU?

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
But aren't we assuming they're dropping NVIDIA and relying only on broadwell GPU?

If Apple sticks to integrated GPU's when NVIDIA launches Maxwell in March 2014, then this is my last MBP.

Or Intel must somehow manage to outperform the NVIDIA cards by 100% like Maxwell is set to do in a couple of months.

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
If Apple sticks to integrated GPU's when NVIDIA launches Maxwell in March 2014, then this is my last MBP.

Or Intel must somehow manage to outperform the NVIDIA cards by 100% like Maxwell is set to do in a couple of months.

I know how you feel. We'll know for sure in a couple years

mattshort

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
I'm all-in for this thread.

After waiting 3 months since Intel released Haswell, I couldn't wait any longer and bought an Ivy Bridge machine to hold me over til Broadwell. Hopefully by then the specs will match I'm looking for in a notebook (because it doesn't exist today).

Extremely early predictions:
  • Base prices decrease to current cMBP prices
  • IGZO Displays
  • 16/32GB BTO options for the 13"/15"
  • 1TB SSD BTO option
  • Quad core option for top-specced 13"
  • Reduced bezel / first redesign of the rMBP
  • Release date - March 3rd, 2015

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I like to wait, so I'm waiting for Broadwell. I think next year there will be redesigns of both MBA and MBP's form, DDR-4, IGZO displays, and 802.11AC that works. Worth the wait.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Extremely early predictions:
Base prices decrease to current cMBP prices
Likely.

IGZO Displays
Maybe.

16/32GB BTO options for the 13"/15"
No chance for the 13" rMBP to have a 32GB BTO option with Broadwell when it doesn't even have a 16GB BTO option yet (which I hope will come with Haswell). Broadwell is more likely to have 8GB or 16GB for the 13" model and only 16GB for the 15" model. We're more likely to see a 32GB option for the 15" introduced with Skylake in 2015.

1TB SSD BTO option
Almost certainly. I think we'll probably see a 1TB SSD BTO option for Haswell -- if not at launch then sometime before the introduction of the Broadwell MBPs.

Quad core option for top-specced 13"
Likely.

Reduced bezel / first redesign of the rMBP
Maybe.

Release date - March 3rd, 2015
That's a bold prediction.

mattshort

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
No chance for the 13" rMBP to have a 32GB BTO option with Broadwell when it doesn't even have a 16GB BTO option yet (which I hope will come with Haswell). Broadwell is more likely to have 8GB or 16GB for the 13" model and only 16GB for the 15" model. We're more likely to see a 32GB option for the 15" introduced with Skylake in 2015.

What I should have said was: 16GB BTO on the 13", 32GB BTO on the 15".

I do think IGZO and a (thinner bezel) redesign go hand in hand; we won't see one without the other, in my opinion.

That's a bold prediction.

I figured I would get my prediction out there early. Broadwell should show up around Q3/Q4 next year, and I figure that means it'll be another 4-6 months before we see them in MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.