Waiting for cheaper data to come back to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krio, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Krio macrumors member

I was all pumped up to get a 16gb iPhone with no texting and the cheap data plan when Verizon dropped the option like it was hot. Being an a limited budget (and grandfathered into an incredibly cheap verizon plan) has left me carrying a dumb phone and an iPod touch the past 3 years. Is anyone else waiting for the $15 data plan before purchasing an iPhone on Verizon? Or heard info on it's replacement?

2. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly, I've been with a smart phone from vzw for several years (bb pearl -> droid -> iPhone) and I've never heard of such a plan.. I text like crazy though, so it's possible I just never noticed it before...

3. OptyCT macrumors 6502

With the increased amount of data traffic on Verizon's networks and its strain on bandwidth, VZW has to constantly update its infrastructure to keep pace. All of this updating costs $$$. For this reason, the $15 data plan will go the way of the dinosaur, never to be offered again.

That being said, VZW will be moving to the tiered data plan structure similar to the one offered by AT&T. If you're smart about how you retrieve data (meaning use wi-fi as much as possible), your data cost could shake out in the $15/month range. My recommendation would be to wait until VZW rolls out the tiered data plans and then jump on board.