waiting for haswell or get ivy bridge??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warplane95, Sep 14, 2013.

1. warplane95 macrumors regular

HI, first of all, im french, so sorry for my bad writing. So, im in the first year of university in engineering and I'll work with autocad 2013 and solidworks 2013.

I need to have this laptop for 4/5 years. My maximum budget is 2300$, maybe 2500$.

I want a rMBP, so for solidwork and autocad what I need? i5/i7? 8gb/16gb ram? 13'' with dual core or 15'' with quad core/haswell or ivy bridge.

the last wednesday I bought a cMBP for waiting my decision and I have to the 24th september for a full refound

2. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

Hi

If you want to keep your computer for 4-5 years then you need a quad-core and 16gb ram!

You can change the ssd in the future but you cannot upgrade the ram!

Also, if you don't need your computer right now wait for the haswell! Probably will be out in late october!

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Wait for the Haswell MBP to come out, and then you will have the ability to choose between the latest tech at full price, or an Ivy Bridge machine at a bigger discount.

And yes, if you intend to keep your computer 4-5 years, definitely go with 16GB RAM. If you want to keep your initial costs down, you can always get a smaller SSD and upgrade it later when the prices at OWC have come down.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why don't you at least wait until you get it first and try it out? :confused:

5. 8080532 Suspended

If you need the laptop before school get the ivy bridge 15" BASE model. You do not need the high end version as autocad works well on my base model.

If you choose to wait until the Haswell comes out you will not be guaranteed a laptop on the first day of release or even for the next couple of weeks as supplies will probably be short-handed. You'll eventually have to wait longer to get a laptop.

6. warplane95 thread starter macrumors regular

because I have a lesson the last thursday and I need a laptop for the lesson

University start two week ago, but I need a laptop for me lesson of mechanical engineering the last thursday

7. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I just picked up one of the 2013 Ivy Bridge pros. It's awesome. I couldn't wait anymore. Haswell's main improvement will be battery life, which I don't need.

8. warplane95 thread starter macrumors regular

but haswell have also better SSD, wifi AC, better battery and Iris 5100...

9. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

Last year's 13" rMBP was released at an event on 23rd October, so we can expect there to be a similar release date for this year; especially if you consider that last year's iPhone (5) event was on 12th September - this year's (5S/5C) was on a very similar date: 10th September.

We can learn a lot from Apple's previous events :D

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I took this comment: the last wednesday I bought a cMBP to mean you had one on order. I guess not.

Nobody knows what they will have.

My friend, this happens to thousands of people like you this time of year. You're just another victim of Apple's intentional timing when it comes to preying on students. They want you to buy all the old stock leaving others to reap the benefits of the new models. You have some clear choices but nobody here can tell you exactly when to exercise them.

11. mrmanucadiz macrumors member

anyone can confirm it is true what it's said by the quoted guy???

12. warplane95 thread starter macrumors regular

no, sorry I bought a cMBP at staples :p

----------

yeah, the 13'' retina release in october but the 15'' release in june

13. mrmanucadiz macrumors member

Ok, thanks man! I just came freaked out when realised that Apple launches same laptop on differents sizes at differents dates :S Such strange....

But enough hopefull because of i'm waiting for the 13" rMBP

14. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

This year, they'll most likely launch both the 13" and 15" models in October, because last year it took Apple extra time to ensure all the components would work properly in both form factors; now that the rMBP is not a brand new form factor then this shouldn't be an issue and the new models should both be out towards the end of October. What we can nearly be certain of is that the update will come before Christmas because Apple will want all of its products updated in time for this important period financially speaking. :)