Waiting for iPad 3. This time next year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Funkymonk, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

not that I don't want an iPad 2. I recently got an air 11 so I feel like I'll be wasting money if I just get the ipad so soon. damnit! I seriously think I can use the ipad 99% of the time for all my needs and even use my old ass dell laptop (which has been running like a champ for 6 years now, god bless it's soul) for the few things I would need a laptop for. I think I would give the air 11 to my sister since she loves it and has been uses it more than she does her own laptop.

love the air btw, fantastic laptop. best I've ever had in fact. I don't want to sell it because I love it too much :p. would rather give it to family

so you guys think the ipad 3 will be here around this time next year?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes. I don't think you'll see a new iPad until this time next year.

3. NickDaQuick macrumors newbie

My guess is probably. Not to be harsh, but it came out 2 days ago and if you want one now this is gonna be a difficult wait. I started wanting an ipad back in October but sucked it up and waited for #2, it was very hard, atleast for me.

4. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Most likely yes. Apple is pretty good about sticking to 1 year update cycles.

And their announcement conference labeled 2011 as "The Year of the iPad 2" so that would suggest no iPad 3 until 2012.

5. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

I would love the MBA. But I love this iPad 2 so much. Initially I thought my iPad 1 was sufficient so I wouldn't upgrade. There were no benchmarks on the GPU nor CPU in general everyday use and the reviews were all utter crap. So I decided to wait in line and got two of them.

I'm so in love with the iPad 2 it is now being used 95% of the time. The other 5% I spend on my new 2011 mbp 17" to edit photos and do more video encoding and setting it up to stream movies to my iPad 2.

I'm telling you, 2011 is the year of the iPad 2 for sure. Apple was so sure of this and they have another hit. If not for the sad japan quake, this iPad 2 would be all over the news!

My recommendation is IF YOU HAVE EXTRA MONEY and want to splurge, go ahead and pick up the iPad 2. You can have all 4 (desktop, laptop, MBA, and the ipad 2) to co-exist. It would just dent your wallet!

We are experiencing the end of the world soon (look at the 8.9mag earthquake). I'm gonna live my life enjoying what I can. When the iPad 2 arrived I sold my iPad 1 (for a loss of course).

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I have no reason to doubt the annual refresh cycle. However, Apple hasn't faced competition in the tablet space before (one could argue that they still don't!) so it's not completely inconceivable that Apple roll out a version with a retina screen in the fall. Still, I doubt it.

As for your use case, I am at 99.9x% of the time (see my signature). The only thing I still have to hit my household iMac for (other than syncing and iOS updates) is scanning documents, which I have to do about 1x/quarter.

7. mcm2839 macrumors newbie

For most of the things we do I could use the iPad.

I have the first gen iPad and it runs like a champ. We'll probably upgrade to a 2 later this year (Christmas time) or just wait for third gen. I just recently bought a 2011 MBP 13" base model for work stuff. I love it!

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Agree with the doubt but just one thing on the Retina display: If Apple are going to do it they're going to have to maintain the performance levels of the iPad 2 when they bump the screen size. That's going to mean a new SoC, presumably the A6. Looking at the relevant roadmaps I REALLY doubt that there's a suitable candidate coming along before September that would give that sort of performance jump. Realisticly you'd need... what, a dual core A15 CPU and a quad core 543 GPU? Even in March 2012 that'd be an absolute beast of a setup and be pretty expensive, in September 2011 I'd have thought it wouldn't be cost efficient or maybe even possible.

9. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

You should wait for the iPad 6. I heard it might be so light you actually have to ADD wait to it so it doesn't float away!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Remember, the release happened, but supplies are so short that I'll be happy if I can get the iPad 2 by the time the iPad 3 is released. Or wait, maybe I should wait and get the iPad 3 a few months before the iPad 4 :(

11. Dark macrumors regular

I was debating between the new air and the iPad2 myself. I'm quite happy I went with the new iPad. This thing is absolutely amazing. I have almost no need for my laptop now besides photo editing.

This truly is the future of personal computing. I was on the fence when the first iPad came out, thinking it was nothing more than a giant iPod touch. Then I finally started to see the appeal. Personally I think the power of iOS is starting to exceed that of traditional operating systems. ( besides pro applications of course)

Do yourself a favor and buy the ipad2. If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll just be stuck waiting forever.

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think it's safe to assume the iPad is on an annual spring update schedule, just as the iPhone updates each summer. I think I'm waiting as well, although the more I use my current iPad, the more I crave faster speeds and more stability.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Have both...

iPad 2 can be sold before iPad 3 comes out. You will lose about 60-70 dollars. That's about 5-6 dollars a month. I will just cut my expense from somewhere and find a way. I might wait 1-2 months, but 1 year is no way. I have already terminated my newspapers. They cost well over 5-6 dollars a month. My iPad 2 is very important for me for many reasons. I have MBA 11.6 for different needs.

14. josh2012 macrumors member

iPad 3

I was waiting at the Apple Store today when it opened hoping to pick up the 2, reviews looked amazing and I have been batting around getting either the 13" MBP, 13" MBA, or iPad 2 and decided to go for the iPad 2.. I walked in asked to buy one and was told they don't know when they will even be getting another shipment in.. I was quite disappointed when I walked over to check one out more closely. I ended up walking away feeling relieved they didn't have any in stock.. The screen in comparison to my iPhone 4 is pitiful, the number one thing I planned to use it for was PDF's as I work with 100's of them every month and it would save a lot of paper and money in the long run, but I couldn't stand to read on it more than a few seconds. When testing having multiple safari tabs open I experienced a lot of checkerboard when scrolling through pages. Lastly I had Garage band, iMovie, Pages, and a third party app all crash.. Think I'll get a MBA this fall with Lion, Thunderbolt, and SandyBridge. Maybe I'll make the leap to iPad 3 if it gets retina display.