Waiting for July?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crimsonkid, Apr 16, 2008.

1. crimsonkid macrumors member

Hey guys and gals,

I was about to purchase my first individual laptop (MBP) the day that the first rumor of "July redesign" came about and now I am stuck.

I don't have a problem waiting the two months as until the event to see if they will be making major updates such as changes to the design and MB/A keyboards. As both of these are major reasons for to wait for me.

My only issue is I do not want to arrive at July and have no announcement for updates to the MBP, and be stuck wondering if there may be an unannounced update in September which is US school start?

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

P.s I am currently using a below-par PB G4, which is enough to hold out to July but not much longer as I am a first year graphic design/multimedia student so I need an upgrade soon.

Thanks

2. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I am in a similar situation -- I am running on an iBook G4 and am waiting for redesign.

I am going to wait until the end of the back to school promotion (get the free ipod) and hopefully by then something new will be out...if not well i still got $150 back for the ipod.

3. vwDavid macrumors regular

I'll I can share is that in December 2006 I decided I wanted a 24" iMac. All rumors pointed to a MW January 2007 redesign so I waited. It didn't happen. 2 weeks later there were macrumors.com rumors of a February redesign, then March, then May, then June. Aluminium iMac didn't happen until August! 10 months later.

Sorry but there are no certainties in the rumors business. If you want the latest and greatest be prepared to wait or be disappointed. If you need it now then just buy.

4. psychgrrl macrumors newbie

When does the ipod promotion usually start? Is that something that always happens, or is it uncertain?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

It started 5/6 last year. It has, though, started in mid July in previous years. I would expect it to be in early June again this year.

6. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

the school special period just ended for me as I am living in Australia, however it isn't an issue for me.
    I have decided to wait until the June event, and if there is no sight of an update buy my MBP then, otherwise like you have said, ill be waiting for an endless period of time.

Thanks

7. panda macrumors regular

redesign when?

seems unlikely a newly redesigned mbp will be launched just when apple does its back to school promotions.

i expect there to be a redesign, but it will be more likely later in the year. sometime before christmas or at mwsf in january.

if apple were to base its launch strategy on recent experience, it would seem that the imac launch at the end of last summer worked very well and why not do something similar with the mbp?

conclusion? if you need a new mbp, now is a great time to buy, as they are already amazing and it could be a long time before a redesign.:)

8. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that panda
    that actually cleared things up in my mind a bit
    i was thinking i should wait until july
    but it seems i may have to take the plunge earlier as photoshop and indesign tasks don't cut it on my PB G4.

i also may be losing the computer i have at home, meaning i may be left computerless for 2 months if i wait.

Does anyone know of any bennifit of waiting until july other than a redesign? such as larger HD, or increased graphics card?

9. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Like others mentioned, I think the Macbook will get a refresh before the MBP. The MBP just got the new touchpad updates, plus faster processors. There are some great deals going on, so I'd jump if the deal is right...

10. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

i am buying from my local retailer who my family has had years of good experience with, i may see if i can purchase it next week, as that is when my Dell 2408 arrives as well :D

I have a couple other questions if anyone can answer them please?

If I want applecare i just have to buy it before the one year is up?
    Does putting RAM in yourself void the warranty?
    Or if I get a certified appl retailer to do it for me, will the warranty be ok?

I am thinking about purchasing several extras with it, such as

apple keyboard (usb)
    apple remote (obviously :p)
    griffin elevator stand
    and i was thinking about the
    logitech vx revolution

does anyone have any other ideas of things i should get?
    or opinions on the things i have stated?

thanks alot for everyones help