Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
The Mini is comatose in part because it always tracked the slot the MBP 13" traditionally sat in (and a variation of entry MBP 15" for the top end).

I think Apple should Keep the Mini, its not just an entry level computer, its an server and advanced media centre for many (as mine is doing now).

One thing its clear, Apple missed something about the Mac, and Cook doesn't care of.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Well I've officially stopped waiting for the 7,1. Just finished ordering the parts I'll need to build a pretty great Hackintosh. I'll be putting it together next week.

It's really just a test machine to see how well I can move my workflow to Linux, with OS X as a fallback and Windows for gaming. CPU is possibly a bit weaker than a high end nMP, I'll admit, but it's got much better OpenCL power (with the option to expand that significantly if needed), CUDA (though I prefer OpenCL, I'll take it), DDR4 RAM, plenty of internal storage, 6 PCIe slots, and I'm sad to say it's all much cheaper than the nMP for the power. It even has Thunderbolt 3.

Which Z270 board did you order? There are not a lot with Thunderbolt 3.

I built a little PC with i7 7700K and this board with Thunderbolt 3: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#osW1064

Building an xMac when Kaby Lake support comes out.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
This one was started after the other one was closed by the mods... this is at least second or third generation
It's probably survived because many people have given up hope for a new Mac Pro - there's no longer any passion that gets people worked up to the point of saying things that get threads closed.

Or maybe they've realized that an Ipad Pro is a great system for editing and rendering Red video.

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Which Z270 board did you order? There are not a lot with Thunderbolt 3.

I built a little PC with i7 7700K and this board with Thunderbolt 3: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#osW1064

Building an xMac when Kaby Lake support comes out.

I actually went with a x99 board, Broadwell-E CPU. Has enough cores and lanes to run what I want to run. The motherboard is made by Gigabyte. Thunderbolt 3 was not a high priority for me, since there's so much internal space for storage and plenty of PCIe, but I figure it's futureproofing.

I was going to try to get a recent Xeon but support is iffy and I care more about GPU compute anyway. If things work out with Linux I imagine I'll build a Xeon box in a few years and not worry about Hackintosh support at all.

Reactions: jblagden

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
I haven't been here in a long time... But I'm kinda amazed some people still are... ok, not really:) Just stick a fork in it already. It's done.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
The Mac Pro is not dead and it has not failed.
It's not a failed system, it is a very very successful one, this is why Apple keeps it the same, why change such a success?
Everybody are just jealous... Apple knew it from day one, "this is it for the next 10 years" they said.
They were not laughing, they were not joking, they are serious about it, they are dedicated to Pros, they offer a stable tool, just "plug and play" no need to think about upgrades for a really long time...
Do your work and be happy.
Where is the competition? They just present new models because they can't reach the superiority of this incredible system, even if they have made so many systems after 2013...

What is new/current/advanced hardware supposed to mean or offer?
And why reduce the price after 3-4 years?
It's better than the current systems, can't you see it? It's old and experienced and as you know nothing beats experience...o_Oo_Oo_O
only Alzheimer's disease...:)

faefae

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2017
Los Angeles
The Mac Pro is not dead and it has not failed.
It's not a failed system, it is a very very successful one, this is why Apple keeps it the same, why change such a success?
Everybody are just jealous... Apple knew it from day one, "this is it for the next 10 years" they said.
They were not laughing, they were not joking, they are serious about it, they are dedicated to Pros, they offer a stable tool, just "plug and play" no need to think about upgrades for a really long time...
Do your work and be happy.
Where is the competition? They just present new models because they can't reach the superiority of this incredible system, even if they have made so many systems after 2013...

What is new/current/advanced hardware supposed to mean or offer?
And why reduce the price after 3-4 years?
It's better than the current systems, can't you see it? It's old and experienced and as you know nothing beats experience...o_Oo_Oo_O
only Alzheimer's disease...:)

Is this satirical commentary on apple brand fanaticism?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah, there comes a point where the enthusiasm goes away & we just don't care anymore. Moved on. Hell its just a tool. Craftsman discontinued your favorite ratchet wrench? Buy one from Stanley.
Craftsman has been crap for as long as "drop forged in china" has been on their tools. Harbor Freight is the "Old Craftsman" quality at a lower price.

This is a poor argument for merged macOS iOS.
I wasn't arguing for a merged OS, I was making conjecture on where the rumors came from.

iOS is a much bigger and still growing OS ecosystem. Apple doesn't need a "Surface Pro" killer. They primarily need just need to sell more iPads. iPads are in a sales slump and more so need current iPad owners to upgrade far more than need to cannabilize Mac users.
Apple needs a Surface Pro Killer in the same way they need Macs, they don't really since most of their revenue comes from iWhatever. This is a point of pride, Microsoft got a foot in the door of the creative market, previously hardline Apple customers.

Apple could feasibly become a phone and watch company, and discontinue making Macs (which a disturbing number of people on this forum believe is happening right now), and still make a profit. It's not about "need" so much as continuing to offer the same great products they always have.

It isn't about using iOS code as much as the watchOS system ( both hardware, Secure Enclave) and a very narrow subset of the "iOS" baseline. All the touchbar does is run an app that copies the screen from the Mac and does the fingerprint processing handoffs in a secure way. That is it. It isn't iOS as it is normally used in iPhones or iPads at all.
The point was that they didn't have to add fingerprint recognition to the touchpad.

Eh? Jobs was not a 'mobiles second' person in the later years at all. Laptops (mobile) first has been the focus of the Mac line up for a decade (much of that under Jobs' direction and/or 5 year development plan. )
I'm not saying their priorities were different, I'm just saying that Cook probably doesn't get excited about tech the same way Steve did.

[/QUOTE]Actually it seems like Cook is following Jobs dogma perhaps a bit too closely. Running all of Apple's industrial design through a limited (almost fixed) size team won't scale where Apple is operating now. There should be synergies and shared design across Apple products but taken to a resource constraining extreme that isn't going to work.[/QUOTE]
Right, I do think Cook is trying to emulate Jobs but floundering around at it.

Because Apple is trying to find the "next big home run" the fixed size shared resources are likely just running out of time to work on Mac stuff. They can't bungle the iPhone stuff because the stock price would crumble. (and for most execs at Apple crumble a huge chunk of their personal wealth too. ).
Which means that they either need to simplify (and focus on making a few great products) or start to branch out (which my be what Cook is doing right now)

Users are also buying on longer cycles. The iPad hit this. The Mac hit this several years ago. The Mac Pro segment further still. The slower the cycle that folks by new computers the more likely Cook is going to slow the development process. It is just a direct extension to "just in time" manufacturing. As demand changes.... change the supply. Slower buy... slower build. Jobs still being around extremely likely would not change that dynamic.
People may buy in longer cycles, but that doesn't always line up with when Apple decides to release an updated machine. For example: early buyers of the trashcan Mac Pro are probably still good for now, but it's getting very long in the tooth. Buyers who were hoping for another cheese grater, and held on to their Macs for a few years are likely starting to switch (which we're seeing right now).

The longer buying cycle is not a reason to slow down the development cycle. And before anyone jumps down my throat about processors still being adequate, the main problem people had with the trashcan design was the non-upgradeability, which was an inherent design flaw. At least when the G4 "Cube" was made Apple had the good sense to sell a regular PowerMac alongside it.

The mini has tracked the MBP which has changed so there really isn't good excuse if Apple was applying resources to Mac product line development. In 2016 Apple did not update to the MBA ... no good reason. (in fact the "function key" MBP 13" could have very well as been a MBA update if it didn't have the highly upgraded screen attached. ). A Mini with shared MBP 2016 parts was more than doable.
I can agree with this, the Mini could definitely have done with parts from the tbMBP. However, Apple seems to want to push the iPad Pro as the MBA replacement.
as pointed out in another thread is are no "Kaby Lake Xeons" in the Mac Pro class ( or iMac class although that should change in a couple months). Thunderbolt 3 and the GPU are far more likely blockers at this point.
This also points to supplier problems which slows down the desktop development process, completely out of Apple's hands.

it was a much bigger product management ( and R&D development) stumble than just physical components. Mac Pro 2013 was a pretty big bet on OpenCL and Apple didn't follow through on that is a robust fashion. There was a bigger push against it that they didn't particularly help with. Gaming on iOS and ideas swirling around opengl next , Mantle, Metal. Throw on top HSA ( Heterogenous system architecture) development and the stuff that arrive later to OpenCL

Apple (and AMD? or just wasn't ask to) didn't move the Mac Pro foundation forward to OpenCL 2.0 (which was done at 28nm ).

This all probably would have worked out better for the Apple, users and Mac Pro product line if Apple has just done one more iteration Xeon E5 v1/v2 with old form factor and started to push hard on OpenCL with that. Laying the software foundation took longer. [ If Thunderbolt was a must have just a iMac like solution would work.]

Then could have jumped into new form factor at E5v3 with better grounded foundation on both software and hardware side. But yes, synchronization with the factors outside of the Mac Pro development were 'off'. Also if the plan has been to iterate in 1-1.5 years that too. but if had plan to hide in a hole for 3 years they should have waited for a better foundation.
Interesting, and agreed.
I just think the "roadmap" they had for the trashcan Mac Pro just didn't work out, and due to a number of factors they haven't been able to do anything substantial with it. It's not that they want to phase out the Mac Pro, it's that their plan didn't work out, and their resources have been too stretched to make a suitable replacement.

Personally, I think that expanding their line with the iWatch and tvOS was a mistake. They should've been focusing on their core lineup instead of making products like this.

Reactions: Theisus

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Is this satirical commentary on apple brand fanaticism?
Unfortunately...
Apple may be successful and profitable but they have lost their value in Mac user's mind, especially the old and loyal crowd is completely abandoned and disappointed .
Their current line up is a complete joke, every "current" Mac has limitations, not even one has full capability in anything.
Old hardware, no real GPU options, heat limited and throttling, sealed systems and upgrade limited=planned obsolesce, (whatever is possible is already soldered), no upgrade parts are sold anymore (in the past we had some GPUs like 5770 or storage parts), glued batteries and glued screens in laptops and iMacs, awful keyboards (once upon a time they had the best keyboards in market), and of course a psychological problem with the thiness of products, form over function, product killing (excellent software and hardware is gone) etc.
It's almost unbelievable.

They could have thin and small products and normal/upgradeable ones, there is plenty of market for both, the current line is a mess, a complete mess full of restrictions.

BTW I'm sorry for the rant folks...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This picture sums it up. That thing you see sinking in the background is the Mac. It just collided with an iPhone. Capitan Cook & Co. can be seen scurrying away from the disaster they created.
Those people you see drowning in the ocean are you and I.

image.jpeg

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
This picture sums it up. That thing you see sinking in the background is the Mac. It just collided with an iPhone. Capitan Cook & Co. can be seen scurrying away from the disaster they created.
Those people you see drowning in the ocean are you and I.

View attachment 692785

Yes, we are drowning right now.

I just spent several hours yesterday looking at my options again. The countdown is on........ especially since I went to an Autodesk VR presentation, knowing that not a single mac available was capable to run what I was shown [bootcamp included]

I am all up for Apple developing AI and AR but seeing the Microsoft Hololens possibilities and also VR in my field, I know I need a top end workstation to allow me to move forward over the next few years. There is nothing from Apple at present that will let me do this.

With Microsoft putting it all out on the table with their future plans I am able to understand and see where they are going with their developments in 'mixed reality'. All Tim Cook has said is they are very interested in the field of AI......

When new technologies like this come along, it is really useful to understand the directions in order to make an educated decision, as I need to invest precious money into this. Therefore right now I keep getting drawn to Microsoft as the presentations are convincing, I know the hardware is available and the software is being developed.

What is happening at Apple ??? No one knows, which is the big problem for me and my business plans. Trust can go a certain way but there is a limit, and I am at that now.
If nothing is announced between now and end June 2017, I am selling all the Apple gear getting the business out of this uncertainty [ipads, iPhones, MacBooks - it will all go].

If this is of no concern to Apple then they are very wrong - I influence quite a few people on Apple purchases, and am the go to guy for a lot of people considering what they buy. Yes, they will still make $billions, but if it continues their market share will erode over time.

Reactions: mrxak and ventricle

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, we are drowning right now.
.... (saving space)...

The sad part: Apple is deliberately pushing heads under the waterline to cull their own ecosystem (I'm an independent app developer with published apps and I also freelance, so I see the carnage - I was involved with multiple projects in the last year that ALL were canceled due to Apple's arrogance). This is definitely the case across all facets of their "ecosystem".

So unless you have $50 million in VC funding that is "well connected" to Apple's "in crowd", time to go away. Of course they still expect you to buy whatever shiny consumer POS (watch, iTV) they peddle.

Because, it doesn't matter to their "in crowd" to pay $6000+ for a 4 year old 'pro' machine - it's all about "greasing the (eco)system" anyway. It's easy to spend money you were just handed via a VC deal anyway. Sinecure is good work if you can get it, but with pedegree comes blindness, so as they say: ignorance is bliss (as seen in these forums - you don't really even "know who you are", but I do).

And no, being a new app "upstart" that will "breakout" just isn't going to happen anymore. They needed to create that illusion in 2008 when the iPhone needed apps to be successful - they have their success so those days are long gone. Now time to go overboard. For me, I (stupidly) believed they would return to a fair app store (with App Store circa '08 discoverability features) for the Apple TV app store, but it did not happen - that clearly showed Apple's "curation" arrogance was incurable and signaled the "beginning of the end" for Apple.

Apple has somehow always maintained the illusion that if you shut up and play nice, they just might let you into their "in crowd" - this is why you don't see so many people publicly trashing their behavior.

But real people who run businesses which must earn money to pay the bills know that it's over for them. And, eventually for Apple because they can't mortgage their future "non-innovation" forever:

"Apple will do more in the pro area.”
-Tim Cook

Stop peeing in my future pocket and tell me it's raining money. I got out while I still had some $$ left in my pockets.
Your grease will run out eventually, then the sparks will fly.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
... Last I heard Johny Ive was working on the door handles for their new office building.

:(
I heard that he was worried about thresholds...

There are doorways, but not thresholds. Apple wanted every entranceway to be completely flush, with no thresholds between doors. Although the constructors protested, Apple said it was a must. The reason, according to Reuters, was so that engineers had less chance of getting distracted from their work as they walked, (although it’s unclear how much coding Apple engineers are doing while walking in the first place).

https://qz.com/905934/even-the-toilets-in-apples-aapl-campus-2-are-inspired-by-the-iphone/

Reactions: Aldaris

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
And no, being a new app "upstart" that will "breakout" just isn't going to happen anymore.

I did not want to quote your whole paragraph, but your observations are spot on.
Today, you cannot survive on a good idea, because most apps are free and you cannot cover hosting costs if you reach a critical mass. Most new app projects just hope to get bought up for their IP and then try to finance the next thing.

Apple has no motivation to push Apps, not even for the iPad, because the only relevant revenue is the iPhone.

When there was no iPhone - or lets just agree on the iPhone 4 - MacBook and the quality of OSX was important,
third-party support was important, hardware support was important.

Today only iPhone sales matter and more and more functionality is removed.
Apple TV and iTunes is certainly not making a profit and the Mac has to look shiny and presentable.

I recently purchased a few Lenovo Laptops and I can tell you they are ugly, but there are far more flexible and have more driver support even on Linux than any modern Mac.

Reactions: developer13245

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
And no, being a new app "upstart" that will "breakout" just isn't going to happen anymore. They needed to create that illusion in 2008 when the iPhone needed apps to be successful - they have their success so those days are long gone.

Apologies for quoting part of my previous post. But I might as well drop this bomb on Apple's next illusion right now:

Apple will attempt to recreate the "illusion" of app breakout with their "Planet of the Apps" TV show. It will be the equivalent of "America's Got Talent" that draws delusional people into Apple's developer ecosystem. And sure, we will see the occasional "rags to riches" story to lure societies' less fortunate nobodies into the fray.

But ultimately only the the pedigreed will be admitted to the club.

Another thought... Speaking of societies' less fortunate, who usually have less income, but plenty of credit:
Defaulted credit card debt incurred by unwise purchases of Apple hardware is of no concern to Apple.
(geez, I wonder how much of the world's bad debt was incurred by purchase of shiny Apple products that people couldn't afford, but REALLY "needed" to have?? Think: $6000 4 year old obsolete 'pro' desktop)

Reactions: Synchro3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.