Waiting for my Eee PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Feb 9, 2008.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I bought me an Eee PC yesterday from NewEgg.com and now i'm waiting for it. I think they look freaking awesome and I need a Windows PC and something to tinker with (as if XP won't be enough right?). It's the 4G Surf edition Galaxy Black. Omg I was watching Youtube videos on it and I'm so excited about it. i can't wait.

Anyone else have one?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ohhh ahhhh,

thanks a lot, I'm going to be out a couple hundred in a few moments. :cool:

Thats pretty cool, do tell how you like it I may consider one of these.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I got one this week Black 4gb , along with 8 more for people who absolutely loved mine
    there is one store here that has them in stock, and the price is so nice
    $299 for the 2gb and $349 for the 4gb
    I added a 8gb card to mine.
    and its dual boot XP or Xandros.
    awesome machines.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well it won't be here till... Thursday or Wednesday (hopefully). I hear the battery life if you're not using USB is like 2hr 35 min. it's a 4 cell battery so I'm assuming that. If you're using USB devices then its like 1hr 50 min. Or sommat. I can't wait I really can't wait. I just joined http://www.eeeuser.com/

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, sounds incredible. And this thing even has 1 more USB port than my MacBook. :rolleyes:

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

On the default system
    it last for about 2.5 hours with wireless on

with Xp its about 2 hours

I haven't really had chance to play with. everytime I pull it out, people want to play with it.

an external mouse is a must for longer term use.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Hey, congrats on getting an EEE!

I bought my 8gig model the week before Macworld (guesstimating correctly that I wouldn't be able to afford whatever Apple would come out with) and LOVE it :D Battery life on mine is about 2.5hrs with WiFi on using the default Xandros operating system; using eeexubuntu r3 I get roughly the same, if not quite so good. I suggest you check out EEEuser.com; the community on the forum there is quite enthusiastic and helpful (no sales pitch; I'm completely unrelated to them). Enjoy your EEE!

10. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Lol thanks, after I posted the topic here, I did join EeeUser.com and I have like 3 posts so far lol. I can't wait though. I want it now!

11. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OMG this thing is freaking tiny and awesome. I've already installed XP on my computer and it runs quite well I'm impressed
    this thingn is just amazing and the keyboard is taking a little to get used to as well. It's not bad for $363.xx

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

seems pretty cool. i don't have $300 or $400 to waste, but if i did, i might consider one of these things

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

C'mon Apple, forget the Air and make something like this. Snap snap!

14. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I really want one. I'm thinking about getting one with my tax return, but I should probably use it to pay bills, ha. Keep us updated and let us know what you think about it!

Edit: Whoops, didn't read the whole thing. Guess you got it today! Hope you are enjoying it!

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

16. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm using this computer with no issues right now. This is freaking awesome. I've already played GTA 3 on mine hehe. Wireless works well, speakers are better than my iBook's. Apple needs to make one of these. OMG it runs so great!!!

EDIT: MINE HAS THE RAM DOOR TOO!!!

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

See, now if Apple made one and kept the price low, about £300 like tihs tihng is, they might actually sell some instead of getting complaints about how over-priced the Air is.

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i know some have complained about the price of the Air, including me, but it seems to be selling well though

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have the apparenty obligatory black 4-gigger. Used it for a couple of days, got bored.

I can see why it has appeal though. The form factor and the price is a beguiling combination for people who wouldn't be able to afford a 'normal' ultralight. In actual use, it's not as revolutionary an experience as it might seem at first and basically I feel that you get what you pay for. Personally I feel a device of this class + configuration would have much less longevity than a regular notebook or a high-spec ultralight. It's cheaper, but you'd need / feel the need to keep up more. It's like that old adage about cheap boots vs a really nice one.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're probably right. The Air is probably selling quite well.

Now imagine how many more MBAs Apple would have sold if they actually made the Air something that people wanted. ;)

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You mean something almost as good as the Sony TZ?

Yeah. A missed opportunity for sure. But they wouldn't have been able to pull it off in any case.

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, even if they just sold this one at a lower price, just think how many more they would sell. (i guess that could apply to anything though)

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I meant, "If they offered something with a screen size of 10" or smaller, they would sell more."

And it's entirely possible for Apple. They have already proved it. The side edges are tapered off, so most of the internal volume is in the middle. Even the USB slot isn't located at the left or right edge. Just chop off the tapered edges and reduce the screen size.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, I just noticed something! I saw in a generic computer magazine that these are £200 for the 2GB model! Thats cheaper then a iPhone! :eek:

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so why didn't you say that? lol, but i agree. in fact, i'd be more likely to buy one if the screen was smaller (but not too small though)