Waiting for my G3 400mhz to arrive,any advice?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Illan, May 18, 2007.

1. Illan macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im waiting or the arrival of a revision2 400mhz B& W G3 with 512MB of ram.
    i bought it to refresh my memory of os x since im will be taking the desktop and portable Certification exam soon.I thought of making it a file server and plan to buy a PCI Sata card so ican add bigger hard drives.im planning on installing a dvd-rw drive since the cd-rim wont cut it anymore.Any Suggestion from you guys?:apple:

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

more ram

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Should have gotten a G4. Sorry that probably wasn't helpful.

I had a g3 and put all kinds of upgrades and it ended up not helping at all at boosting performance.

If you are going to use it as a file server, you don't need loads of ram, stick with what you got.

Get plenty of hard drive space.

Not much else you can do.

4. Illan thread starter macrumors newbie

i wanted a g4.but i got a good price for the g3( $95 with S/H).i was thinking of getting a g4 upgrade but i dont know how it peform on the g3 logic board....but reports are in that leopard beta wont install on G3 so i will have the g4 upgrade as a option.im also consediring installing os x server

5. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I just got a similar machine (specs in sig) in exchange for my 1g 2gb iPod nano. I have to say considering mine is spec'd fairly low, it runs Tiger a lot better than I ever expected. I'm basically keeping mine as an extra computer. I couldn't pass up the deal because I think they're so sexy lol. Just an internet, e-mail, music, iChat type thing for my brother and parents when they want to get away from their Windoze. I'll eventually max the RAM, and expand the HD space. Plus, you can never have too many Macs. The big thing to do with those, like mentioned before is to make them file servers.