Waiting for Nehalem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brand, Mar 19, 2008.

1. brand macrumors 601

brand

I am just curious as to how many people are waiting for the Nehalem processor and why are they waiting.

I choose not to wait.

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Anyone who is waiting for a new chip is a fool. It'll be a year before new Macs ship with the new chips. The Mac Pro was just updated in Jan. The time to buy is now!

And if you are waiting for a 12 core Mac, then I hope you are ready to pay for it. Remember last year when 8 cores came out? It was an expensive BTO order and look at it now, it's standard. So I bet come next Jan, if Macs ship with a 12 core option, it will be an expensive BTO. And going from 8 cores to 12 cores will probably be insignificant anyway. (Diminishing returns.)

3. Srestrepo macrumors member

Nehalem will be nice. No FSB, expected to have benchmarks upwards to 30-40%. HD content will be encoded better.I mean it will be nice but is it worth not having a Mac for about 9-10months. To me no, I am buying my mac in the summer to just get the ipod rebate.

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Did it ever occur to you that some people are fine holding onto their G4, G5 or older model Mac Pro for another year or so before they upgrade?

Honestly, how did your brain ever pick up human speech?

5. GotPro macrumors 6502

I don't think personal attacks are appropriate, IMHO. If you are happy holding onto your G4, G5 or other model, then I don't think you are really in the market for a new machine.

I, too, think that it's silly to wait for nehalem... however, my opinion on this is no better than yours... so... play nice.
    :apple:

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

7. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I am kinda holding out. I decided to buy last year's generation instead of this year's because the difference would be negligible compared to the difference between the current Mac Pros and the new Nehalem Mac Pros. I really want the top of the line Nehalem, but I may wait for the revision after Nehalem, so that I can get a used Nehalem MP for cheap.

8. brand thread starter macrumors 601

brand

I'm not real sure what that has to do with anything and will refrain from stooping to your level.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

10. mschmitt macrumors member

From the news article: "Laptop and desktop processors based on Nehalem are not expected until 2009."

You must have incredible patience.

11. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

I'm kinda on the fence myself. I really want a MacPro, my 867MHz DP MDD is slow as 'ell for some things. Once Backup kicks in, it's time to arm-wrestle for processor time. More often than not, I'm kicking off the other users who kept themselves logged into my machine just to get Finder to run at an acceptable clip.

I'm wondering if I might be happy with the speed if I upped the memory from 768MB. Would that be enough for another 12 months or so? I'm not sure. As it is, I'll have my taxes done by Sunday and will be able to order something next week.

12. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have the 2.66 Mac Pro, I skipped the latest update to the Mac Pro lineup knowing that it would be a negligible improvement. I'll do the Nehalem update when it becomes available.

I'm good to go until then.

13. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Mac Pros do not use laptop and desktop processors. They use high performance Xeon server processors which are going to be the first ones to receive the upgrade.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or wants to wait because they can't afford or don't have a use for one yet. :mad:

15. LyrumusX macrumors newbie

Just Can't Wait

I'm new to the forums so hi all. I've been a PC user pretty much my whole life, until recently. I have a hackintosh system now on my AMD box, running Leopard... I've never really used Apple computers before, so of course I was blow away by how intuitive and well constructed Leopard seems to be. I have little problems here and there on my machine, but I suppose some difficulty is to be expected with a hacked OS :p Anyway, I'm totally inspired to get a Mac Pro now, and I've tried to dig a little about Nehalem. At first, I was dead set on waiting for Nehalem's release to finally own a full-fledged Mac Pro, but after having considered, and reconsidered... many times... I can't wait a year+ to get the real deal. I'll be giving-in sometime around July...possibly earlier! lol, anyway I can't wait till then, much less a whole year. :apple:

16. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I waited over 16 months for the updates to the Pro and finally purchased the 08 Pro.

A 30-40% increase in speed with the new Nehalem is not worth the wait.

I am having a hard time hanging on to this beast now.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

18. Alpinism macrumors regular

my mbp is holding the fort solid until Nehalem rides to town.

19. mschmitt macrumors member

Frozencold, I was referring to this bit:

Nothing wrong with patience.

20. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It would be smarter to wait till Nehalem and then grab a 3.2GHz 8-core on the cheap. :-D

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'll be replacing an aging but still usable G4 with a Nehalem MBP and a Vista gaming PC with a Mac Pro. Saving.....

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll probably pick up a blackbook once Nehalem comes out...
    As long as it can run Starcraft 2 ;)

23. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I am. I will upgrade my 1st Gen Mac Pro to a Nehalem 16core setup when it comes out.