Waiting for Nehalem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheAmoryWars, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. TheAmoryWars macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #1
    Hey everyone,
    I don't own a mac yet (only an overpriced Alienware, a company I wouldn't recommend to anyone) but I absolutely want to get a mac notebook.

    It seems like June might be "the" time to make the purchase, considering the redesigns that are (hopefully) going to debut around then.

    But, i did some minor research on Intel's Nehalem, which is shaping up to be a pretty impressive successor to the Core 2 Duo. Nehalem is scheduled for the end of 2008/beginning of 2009.

    Keeping this in mind, what is everyone's opinion on whether it might be smarter to wait 6 months past June, considering that the C2D seems to be reaching the end of its lifecycle?

    My laptop has a Celeron M processor, because I got burned buying it right before the Core Duo took over. Maybe I'm still bitter over that, but I wanted to hear the opinions of some intelligent people who know more about Nehalem than myself. Thanks for the insight! :)
     
  2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #2
    Same as everyone else, if you need one now, get it now, if you can wait 6 months or more, wait.

    "The" time to buy is when you are ready and willing.

    Nehalem will be a great improvement over the previous model notebooks. Improvements from the current models will be slight as usual, no matter what anyone says. Geeks will tell you that this chip or this MB, or this chipset, or this "place tech here" will be WAY better than the current model but that hasn't been the case EVER. It's usually a modest jump in speed and efficiency, or it's a big jump but nothing to sell the current model over.

    Nehalem will offer some new tech, but you won't be missing out on anything if you buy now, then wait untii the redesigned Rev A MBP with Nehalem gets all the kinks worked out.
     
  3. TheAmoryWars thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #4
    Thanks, Eidorian, I did mean to say M instead of D.

    So you don't expect Nehalem to be a drastic leap over Montevina?
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #5
    I don't bet the farm on unreleased hardware. Once we get some decent benchmarks then I'm sure we can all make a more informed decision. It all depends on what features you want and how long you're willing to wait. I waited 6 months without a Mac to purchase my current MacBook SR (Merom).

    Core 2 was a major leap over the old Netburst derived Pentium 4 processors even with the cheapest Core 2. I hope Nehalem can repeat that success but I want to see hard numbers. ;)
     
  5. kovy17 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #6
    iam just gonna buy my new macbook once the case redisign comes. I dont think the speeds will be a HUGE difference. And plus my powerbook is getting crapy but i will stick with until the redesigns
     

Share This Page