Waiting for new MBP Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. marddin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #1
    I need to buy a retina MBP for work but I'm apprehensive at buying now if they plan to release skylake in the next few months. I was hoping for some sort of design refresh rather than a spec bump. I've followed the rumors or lack thereof and it doesn't look like these are coming anytime soon.

    Should I buy now or wait a few more months with hopes of an announcement or concrete leak?
     
  2. redheeler macrumors 603

    redheeler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #2
    The chance of a spring refresh is good, so if you can wait, do that. But there's nothing wrong with getting it now if you need it now.
     
  3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #3
    If you NEED it for your livelihood, why would a cosmetic refresh matter?
     
  4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #4
    What do you gain out of posting this? If I mention the possibility of waiting, then it's quite clear I don't NEED it right then if there's a refresh ahead.
     
  5. KdParker macrumors 601

    KdParker

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2010
    Location:
    Everywhere
    #5
    In the same boat, just waiting to find out some information on the refresh before I decide to buy.
     
  6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #6
    Same situation. If the new rMBP is released in March I can wait. If there is no announcement, I cannot wait until June for a refresh. Has there been anything even remotely pointing towards march? All I have seen is iphone 5se and ipad Air 3 rumors. Is everyone just hoping for the "early 2016" variant?
     
  7. iamnotme macrumors regular

    iamnotme

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Location:
    SW Ontario, Canada
    #7
    I can hardly wait for the new one as well. In a way, I'd almost prefer the rMB 12" keyboard. It would be interesting if they put that on the new pros. I hated it at first but prefer it now to the classic kb. More battery will also be nice from with 6th gen cpus even though I can't complain with my 2014. After 200 cycles I still get 8+ hours running VM with screen brightness at 30-50%.
     
  8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #8
    I honestly think they will go with the same keyboard as the magic keyboard. It has more travel than the rMB keyboard and also uses a different mechanism.
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    Actually, I believe you misread his post in a way. He was saying that if you need a machine now for work, which is what presumably pays the bills, then waiting around for a new machine because you want to see a design change is silly. You said you place more value on a design refresh than a spec bump. The guy, in my opinion, was simply saying that if your livelihood depends on a new machine, don't wait. The keyboard and such isn't going to somehow make you more productive than you are right now.


    With that in mind, I am not convinced that the new keyboard on the MP will make it to the MPB. It could, the opinions on that keyboard vary greatly though. I don't particularly love it, but the design can make for an even thinner machine, right? I prefer power or thinness. If I need something very thin I'd get a MB Air.

    So, should you wait? I don't think there is a need to wait if the current machine suits your needs. Since it sounds like you can wait, see what happens in March. The buyer's guide even suggests waiting to see what will happen. March sounds like a good month for an announcement. If it doesn't come, assess your work needs and buy accordingly.
     
  10. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #10
    Oh, ok. Then maybe next time say I WANT to buy a new computer for work, instead of I NEED to buy a new computer for work. My advice was based on the idea that you NEEDED a new computer. Because, well, that's what you said.
     
  11. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    #11
    There is no rumor or clue that new MBP's will be introduced in March event. And honestly, the next MBP will probably have compromised IO ports so I suggest just getting a 2015 now if you need it. It's a great machine. And keep in mind that the "skylake" that the internet has been waiting on for almost 3 years now has marginal boosts in performance in battery life and the most benefit is integrated graphics; yawn
     
  12. Samadd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2015
    #12
    just received mine retina 13 inch right now. Love it so far, upgrading from a 2011 15 inch pro. to be honest huge differences, in speed and graphics obviously. does the job perfectly if you are upgrading from the old MacBooks. Also at this point in time they have some awesome deals on the certified refurbished laptops. Like you i didnt need a new laptop i could wait till the new one comes out but bought it because i think its an upgrade to my previous one, and does the job well done for me.
     
  13. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #13
    If you need it now, then get it.

    I'm waiting, though, because I already have a MacBook Pro (mid 2012, non retina). I'm just waitng to see what they do (if they do anything), design-wise, with the next revision of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I'll probably plan to get whichever one I like more at that time.
     
  14. btbam91 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2015
    #14
    I was in the same boat last December but got an insane deal on the 13" i5 256gb model. Got it for $1200 including apple care. I justified it to myself that this design is super refined and I had just graduated grad school and don't need much horsepower anyway.
     
  15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #15
    It is times like this where I am glad I actually shop at best buy. I have elite plus status so get a 45 day return policy. I need a laptop now so I can just return it if the new ones come out. Bestbuy actually had the rMB's in stock before apple did.
     

Share This Page