Waiting for Number to Port

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lightstar85, Jul 12, 2008.

1. lightstar85 macrumors newbie

How long did everyone have to wait for their numbers to port (if you switched from a different carrier)?

I came from T-Mobile and at the Apple store, the guy who helped me said it would be about 6 hours. I could make calls on my iPhone, but incoming calls would still be on my T-Mobile phone. It's been about 6 and a half hours now, so just curious to when I should expect the switch to be over.

I know I'm probably just being impatient, but any general estimates from other people's experiences would be great! I can't wait to be finished with my old phone and only be using my iPhone!

Thanks!

2. paulej69 macrumors member

Well, I'm in Australia (Perth) , bought my 16GB black before 10AM Friday, it's now 12 midday on Sunday and I'm still waiting for my number to be ported from Telstra to Optus.
    Phoned Optus yesterday - their "porting system" was closed, so apparently my details are now up on their corkboard to be actioned Monday morning!!

At least I can still use it as an iPod touch - everything works except the phone service, and using wifi through my home connection is great!

3. sozekizer macrumors member

can't blame at&t for the length of time to port. that's the responsibility of the original carrier. at&t only submits the request and the original carrier is supposed to comply pretty quickly but clearly doesn't always do so.

4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

mine went through the activation stuff yesterday but didn't get service still and my old fone still did so called 611....fixed it within 2 minutes :D

5. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

Call ATT and ask them about it. I had the same problem. It turns out there was some info wrong on the porting process. They called sprint and it took just a couple mins to get everything straightened out. The Att rep resubmitted the port and within 5 mins everything worked fine.

6. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Yep definitely something wrong. The girl that was doing my iPhone setup and number porting said I would still get phone calls on my T-mobile iPhone, but I could place them on the new one once I activated. Yeah well.. 20 minutes later driving to work and no service on T-mobile...

7. lightstar85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'll have to wait for it to switch or for Monday, call centers are closed. Thanks for the help everyone!

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Mine was near instant. By the time I got to my car in the mall parking garage, my T-Mobile phone was deactivated, and when I got home, I called my number from a landline and my iPhone rang. I'd give it a day, if nothing happens, then call AT&T

9. shadyInCA macrumors member

Mine was instantaneous as well. The text message to say the port was complete came through while we were in the store!

10. lightstar85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got a text message welcoming me to AT&T but when tested the call still went to T-Mobile phone. Am I getting close?

11. jjsun macrumors member

Call when they are open and they will sort it through in about 5 mins.

I switched from T-Mobile and waited for almost 20 hours, and still received calls on my T-Mobile Blackberry. One call to customer service worked everything out. Sometimes they have to force the port through, which is what they did.