Waiting for OS X Lion on the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hexley, May 4, 2011.

1. Hexley macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of posts saying they'll wait for OS X Lion to come preloaded in the 2011 iMac before buying.

If you are doing this are you willing to wait another 4 months for this to happen?

Apple (and other companies) have been known to stretch out release dates to the end of a season or quarter. September 5 being seen as the end of Summer in the US leads me to believe Lion will be released around that time.

The time frame is based on conjecture of a worst case scenario.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't get it either. You can buy Lion when it comes and install it. Yes, it will cost you a bit more but are you sure that you want to wait several months for it? There is also the fact that the first couple of versions will have lots of bugs.

3. iMikeT, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm not necessarily waiting for Lion to come pre-installed, just waiting to see what Apple announces at WWDC.

And I'm not waiting for it to actually be installed in the iMac itself. I prefer the drop-in DVD.

4. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it was a 30 day wait I may be persuaded but to wait until September is too much time not enjoying the Sandy Bridge iMac.

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Like I said, I'm just waiting for the WWDC announcement before I take any further action. If Apple says a July release, I might wait. If they say September, I'll have to freeze myself like Cartman.

I should also mention that any decision I make will also depend on the price. If Lion is $129, I'll be persuaded to wait. If it is substantially less (say around $29-$49), I'll definitely buy the iMac sooner than later.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not to mention resale value should be higher with lion preinstalled.

7. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt Steve will announce another iMac at WWDC. :eek:

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm sure he's talking about Lion announcements at WWDC, most importantly the release date and price.

Anyway, $50 is worth waiting a month or two for me. But then again, I'm in no rush.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why would that be the case? If you want to sell your computer and you installed lion yourself, why would a computer with lion installed by Apple be worth any more assuming both systems have the same hardware?

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

+1. I expect it will be released by end of June or early July. I'm not in a hurry as I have a family member buying my 2007 iMac. And I would prefer it pre-installed. Price is certainly a consideration. But as some have pointed out, with the Mac App Store, they may very well sell the DL version for less. I also hope Lion gets rid of the traditional optical and goes USB or DL only. That said I would love to see all restore disks be USB but I'm not sure that OS X can boot from a USB?

I don't think it affects resale, however I prefer that my restore disk be Lion. Let's say you want to do a wipe and reinstall for some reason. That would involve using your restore disk, then installing Lion. I suppose you could install Lion without your restore disk, but Lion won't include iLife on it, so you still need to go back and install those Apps from the original restore disk. Just more of a pain.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Answer below following quote...

This. Preferring the restore disk that came with the computer to be the latest OS version is exactly it. I would logically think that this would increase resale value for that reason alone.

12. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

If you just bought a new iMac will apple give you the new lion free or with a discount?

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I know in 2009 I bought a MBP about a month or two prior to Snow Leopard, Apple gave everyone who bought a Mac within a certain time frame, an upgrade disk for only $10 (67% off). I was one of the lucky ones.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Not at this point. The time frame will probably be from when they announce the release date at WWDC in early June until the actual release if they don't announce a date at that time, it will be whenever they announce a date. Once they have told people when it is coming out, they don't want to hurt sales, so they offer the new OS.

Anyone buying from this past Tuesday until that announcement is not eligible for anything less than what anyone else would pay.

15. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Damn early adopters always get the mud sandwich. I bought an early iPad 2 and All I got was mad light bleed and now I have to buy Lion.. Life sux

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think there´s a reason :apple: didn´t notify the new iMac owners for 10.6.7 update, unlike in the new Macbook Pro

It´s because all 2011 iMac will be eligilbe for upgrade to Lion for free, or at least with discount, maybe $29 only via Mac App Store so they can directly check who eligible for one and who´s not. If you want to get the shiny retail box, it may cost $129.

That should be it .. so I wouldn´t worry too much about Lion, let´s hope I´m not wrong okay :D

17. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

the first versions will have tons of bugs, dont u want a stable OS when u first get your iMac? thought so. :)

Lion will come with a ton of bugs just like leopard and snow leopard did, sure apple will fix most bugs in time usually in the first 2 weeks of release but still. it'll be a buggy experience at first.

18. appleisler macrumors member

I ordered my new iMac yesterday but it will not even ship until 20 June with estimated delivery date of 25 June - if Lion is announced before they've even shipped it, what do you think then?

19. akaralias macrumors newbie

Yes it does I am testing Lion of a USB LaCie drive.

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

You sound so sure about your speculation. Since you're so sure about everything, care to give me some advice about which sandwich I should eat tomorrow? Will I be better off having the tuna or the turkey?

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hah .. looks like someone owe me an apology :p .. some of my prediction proven to be true.

I'm sure you already read the story http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06...ebut-priced-at-29-99-mac-app-store-exclusive/

Lion will be launched on July, only available as download from Mac App Store, and cost only $29.99 like Snow Leopard was !!

So, for tomorrow, I want you to eat salad for the whole day :D

22. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Did you really come back to this post to gloat. And not to mention, gloat over STILL being wrong? The $29.99 price is not a discount price, it is the retail price available to everyone. And it will definitely NOT be free to those who made 2011 Mac purchases.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I said SOME dude, of course the other of my prediction is wrong. But the bold part is right. And mr Mike there was just bullying me for predict something. I didn't know everything but I hit a point.

$29.99 download via Mac App Store proven to be true, doesn't it?