Waiting for revison A on new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by THX1139, Nov 3, 2008.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Hi everyone,

I need a laptop for school and was all set to buy the new Macbook Pro, then I decided to wait to see what the issues were before spending my money. I do have a MacPro that has been getting me by until I buy a laptop, but I can't haul that to class with me. As I get further into my graphic design program, I'm going to need a laptop!

Anyway, now that people are getting their new machines, I'm seeing a consistent amount of posts about problems. Most of the problems seem to be cosmetic or due to poor build quality - and people are getting replacement easily from Apple. One guy posted that he was on his 3rd machine!! So, that leaves me wondering, should I wait another month or two to buy? I'd like to pull the trigger now, but if Apple can tighten up on the build quality in the next few months, it might be worth waiting for the next revision. I think there are a lot of people who are getting good machines... but there are others who are not so lucky. I could roll the dice, but I have poor luck and don't want to get stuck returning a computer because of cosmetic issues or slight defects in assemblage. Or worse yet, a stuck pixel!

What's the best guess in how long until we start seeing fixes to the build problems... and is it worth the wait?

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Buy a stock machine at an Apple store. Return it if you're not happy. Repeat until satisfied.

Really, it couldn't be easier... if you're not waiting the week+ for a custom build, you can swap it out until you're happy. Asking them to go to "zero dead pixels" as a guarantee just isn't going to happen.... for one, they don't even make the LCD panel and two, big changes in quality control aren't going to happen overnight. A dead pixel isn't a design flaw, it is a quality control issue.

If you don't like the new trackpad, maybe you might wait for a revision, but I find it quite usable... anything else is aesthetics (bent lid, scratches, dents) and easily swapped out in store.

BTW, mine was perfect -- lid is flat, keys are straight, no scratches, etc.