Waiting for September for a refurb

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kirkafur, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Kirkafur macrumors member

I've been using an old iPhone 3G as an makeshift iPod Touch for two years, and am finally going to ditch it in favor of a proper iPod Touch (4th generation). I was wondering if anyone has past experience or data on when prices drop for previous generation iPods, especially in the refurb store.

For example, the previous generation iPod Touch (32GB) originally was $300 and refurbs are going for $180. How soon after the September announcement on a new line of iPods should I expect the price of refurbished 4th generation devices to drop?

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Not sure, tbh. It's probably a different amount of time for each product line, i'd say.

3. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. No-one here can give an exact prediction regarding the expected time-frames for this; all I can say is to keep your eyes open. Then, when the upgrades have been issued, very shortly after that, you can expect to see iTouch refurbs in the Apple store at a considerable discount.

Cheers

5. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

I would guess anywhere from 1 or 2 months since it takes sometime for iPod Touch 5G to saturate the market for refurbs to drop.

6. Kirkafur thread starter macrumors member

Well, currently in the Refurb Store most of Sept 2010's iPod models are about 15% off the original price, and Sept 2009's iPod models are about 33% off.
    Does anybody have any experience with refurbished iPods to have an idea of how long after the announcement of new models that the older model will drop to the 33% discount?
    Another way of asking this would be: does anyone remember how soon after Sept 2010's announcement the 2009 iPods dropped to ~33% off?