Waiting for several items before next purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LarryC, Mar 16, 2011.

1. LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

I was wondering if there are a lot of folks who are like me in that they are waiting for more than one particular thing to happen or to be announced before making their next computer purchase.

1. Hardware update to the iMac and MacBook. I have no idea what might be coming in these new versions, but it looks as though it might be something worth waiting for.

2. OS X Lion. This looks like a really cool version of OS X. It has irritated me to no end, not being able to update to 10.6. I have had every version since 10.0.2 and my eMac is topped out at 10.5.8.

3. Update to the new version of iWork. I know that this is not a huge deal, but a lot of people are saying that this should be soon and I'm a big enough sap to want the newest version. It wasn't too long ago that iLife was updated to the 2011 version and iWork should be really soon, I would think.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else thinking the same thing or if maybe there are a lot of us waiting for the same things.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you can't update to 10.6 you definitely won't be able to update to 10.7.

3. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

10.7 is one of the things I am waiting for before I buy a new computer.

4. titatom macrumors regular

I'm waiting for OS 10.7 and the iMac refresh before I update my early 2008 MBP...

Hopefully the new iMac will have a SSD to boot that new OS at lighting speeds ! :D

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't see an SSD as default unless it's on the high end iMac 27"; they are simply too expensive.

6. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

I don't know if it will be a default or not, but it will be good when SSD drives come down in price the way RAM has over the years. It will happen eventually. I was looking at the WD website yesterday and they now have a 3TB 3.5" HD. I remember people saying "Oh my God, you'll never fill up a HD that size." When they were talking about a HD that was 20GB. Change is good!

7. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

Thanks for posting. I knew there had to be somebody doing the same. Have you guys looked at the Intel roadmap? If they are able to do the things they have charted then the next few years are going to be amazing. It is so odd how the new processors in the new MacBook Pros are going to seem almost antiquated in just a few years.