Waiting for Skylake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Is it a good idea to wait for Broadwell or Skylake?

Or if I wait until the Haswell models are out; the Ivy Bridge models will be cheaper?

The rMBPs on the buyers guide is set to "Buy only if you need it".

I'd hate to spend 1800 pounds on a new Macbook Pro only to have Apple update it a few weeks later...

Thoughts?

2. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

If you can wait until Skylake is out then you certainly don't need a new machine now. If you don't need to spend £1800 for another couple of years then it's probably a good idea not to!

If you want to do things your current machine cannot handle properly then maybe it's time for an upgrade. When you get to the point that your machine is actually incapable of the tasks you need completed then you need a new one and the fact that something better is on it's way will be completely irrelevant.

I'm still using a windows laptop which I had planned to replace with a macbook this year but at the moment it's still working. It regularly does my head in but it's not yet enough of a problem to justify spending that kind of money.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well, do you need it?

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You should wait for Skylake. I hear there's a lot of random stuff that will be upgraded by then.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't have warehouses or stores full of Ivy Bridge machines - they'll stop making them before they release Haswell so they won't be lowering prices.

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Well what I mean is, once Apple release the Haswell MBPs, the Ivy Bridge rMBPs *should* be cheaper.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Apple won't lower their prices, but you might be able to catch a couple closeouts at MacMall or Best Buy. Or wait for some refurbs to trickle in.

8. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Does anybody know if the Macs built in 2017 will be better than the ones built in 2015? I NEED TO KNOW!

9. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Get one in 40 years. they arre much better thn skylake lol.

Everything is old and outdated before it even hits marked. so I think you should not get one at all. you will never have new and relevant.

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The rMBP buying guide is based on average cycles for a model not even a year into life (they're basing the update time on the introduction of a new model, the 13"). I would take that with a grain of salt.

Considering Skylake is probably closer to 3 years away than 2, I think you would have plenty of time to get use out of an Ivy Bridge machine between now and then. In fact, if you bought one now you'd probably be just about due for an upgrade by then.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Seriously?

----------

If you set yourself on waiting for Skylake or Broadwell or whatever, then when they DO come out, Intel will already have started talking about the next generation, and you might never buy anything because there is always something new coming that is better.

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who works at the apple store and I asked him your quetion he said to wait for The 2018 edition it should cost only 4,000 and it will come with half an apple share

13. Samtb macrumors 65816

Are we expecting a wwdc release for these new macbook pros or a fall launch?

14. Cardsnk macrumors regular