"Waiting for stand alone 8800GT to ship" thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boku no koto, Feb 7, 2008.

1. boku no koto macrumors newbie

I haven't ordered my stand alone card yet, but I am wondering if anyone has had any changes in their ship dates for it. It is still saying 5-7 weeks last time I checked.

Anyhow, I figured I would start a thread for those waiting for their 8800GT, so we can all be in the loop.

2. Reach macrumors 6502a

Ah, so this is for all the impatient people that ordered with stock-ATI and an additional 8800-card. Just curious, you're just going to throw away the old card, or do something about it? And was it worth the extra $?

3. boku no koto thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, excuse me for needing to do work and have my computer sooner. Guess that makes me impatient. And what if the cards hadn't shipped now? Did you expect me to gamble on a possible early ship date? Even so, it has taken a month for these things to ship.

And yes, I am going to throw away the old card... :rolleyes: If you read my post, I haven't personally ordered yet, but I don't know what I will do with the other card. I will probably keep it. Maybe sell it on eBay. Who knows, and why do you care so much.

And was it worth it to have my machine weeks earlier and pay the $150 extra (mind you I am getting 2 cards)? I think the money I have made over the last few weeks says, oh yes, it was worth it.

4. Reach macrumors 6502a

hehe Great, and I think some humor got lost on you there..

I almost did the same, so just curious. And while you get two cards, I didn't think it was an option to run two different kinds of cards in there?

5. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I ordered the stand alone on Jan 12th with 2 day shipping. It still says shipping March 5th. I was thinking of selling the ati on ebay, but I may keep it in case the nvidia ever fails and needs to be replaced. Then I'd still be able to use my machine.

6. donharriss macrumors newbie

donharriss

I'm happy

I bought the stock unit on Jan. 8 and have been happily using it since Jan. 9. I was happy to pay for overnight express and will be happy to have a spare card around when I get the 8800. I will wait to order it until they're shipping it in 1 to 2 days.

Can you tell I'm happy with this unit?:)

7. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I'm gonna call apple today and ask if we can expect the card soon, as the MP's with them are shipping. I'll let you guys know what happens

8. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I called and got Gary, who probably doesnt even know what a GPU is. I asked if the card would likely ship before the estimated date of March as Mac Pro's are now shipping with them and if he knew the reason for the delay, but he could only offer, "I guess we don't have it", which I guess is true...but I want a better answer...

I called twice more, but with my luck, got Gary both times and had to hang up on him after he said his name... lol

Anyone else have better luck getting information?

9. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Apple probably just got a pre-authorization. The best way to find out if they are getting ready to ship it is to look at your order and click on cancel. If it shows a drop-down list of reasons to cancel it isn't ready to ship yet. On the other hand if it says you can't cancel your order it's ready to ship.

Mine still says March 12th.

11. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. Well, they got the preauth when I first ordered back in Jan, so I assumed doing it again meant that shipping was imminent

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Wow I went to my CC website and it doesn't show an actual charge for the card but my available credit reflects the amount for the card. Maybe they are getting ready to ship them out monday.

Here's hoping!!