Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
What are your thoughts on waiting for the 2nd release Retina? I've seen a few threads, on this forum, suggesting that the next Retina MBP will come with some better features than the current 1st release.

Or is it really just one of those infinite loops that doesn't matter because there will always be a better release next time?

In other words, when is the optimal release? The sweet spot, so to speak. (I've often thought that first editions aren't the optimal purchases.)

shorty66

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
The next generation retina macbook will not do this huge step forward than the last did. I think that the new (early 2013) will offer peanuts like battery charge indicator etc and of course the new i7 / nvidia card.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
The next generation retina macbook will not do this huge step forward than the last did. I think that the new (early 2013) will offer peanuts like battery charge indicator etc and of course the new i7 / nvidia card.

I agree. The design will most likely stay the same for many years, like the MBA did. Faster internals, perhaps in 2 years Apple will use new battery technology which allows for a much faster charge (minutes not hours), but this is very new technology.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
wait, wait, wait

I try to wait as long as I can when it comes to purchasing a new laptop. If you don't need the rDisplay, why spend the cash. I plan on an upgrade possibly after 1 or 2 refreshes. I use AutoCAD often and the 15" with an external high resolution monitor works great.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Just wait for the next complete refresh; actually why ever buy a computer again? Just take whatever money you have coming in and stuff it into the pockets of a suit, forever, then when you die have them bury you in that suit so you can keep your money for all eternity.

Or at least until the sun explodes. But by then we probably won't still use these things called "computers"...

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
it'll end up like the air, just updated specs.

unlike the first gen iphone and ipads, the first gen retina is different becuase its not an entirely new product, it takes cues from the macbook pro , not something i would call apple winging it lol

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
IMO, if money isn't an issue, the sweet spot is right now.

Haswell will mainly be beneficial for the MBA and rumored 13" rMBP because it will bring a significantly more powerful iGPU.

Don't any external component to change at all. We may get 802.11ac.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The rev b rmbp surely would have features based on users request or apple have found a better way to do things.

I remember when I bought rev a mbp, the redesign unibody mbp in 2008. It got removable battery, but with lower capacity than the classic mbp. And the rev b came out in mar/jun 2009 (I forgot which is exactly) and came out with non removable battery with bigger capacity and able to achieve 1000 cycle until discharge, and it also support 8gb ram. even though the late 2008 mbp chip support 8 gb and not until firmware update it can use 8 gb ram.

So yeah, i'm quite sure the rev b rmbp would have improvement over the rev a.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain

Source of information? WikiLeaks? :D

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

The new nVia card if it offers native hardware bases scaling will eliminate most if not all the scrolling issues the current gen has. Id call that a vast improvement.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
You are making the assumption that you could buy the "best" at any given time. Not so in the tech world. ALWAYS something better in the wings. So, it's more a matter of when you need it or what you need it for. Good luck!

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
You are making the assumption that you could buy the "best" at any given time. Not so in the tech world. ALWAYS something better in the wings. So, it's more a matter of when you need it or what you need it for. Good luck!

"Newest" is not synonym of "Best"...

You might need a new mac laptop right now, but don't want to waste your money on an immature technology... Retina technology will need some time to get on rails...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.