iPad mini Waiting for the iPad mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drymac, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. drymac macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2013
    Hi guys,

    I follow all MacRumors quite heavily and tend to make my decisions based on what the rumors are saying.

    I've been following the iPad mini 2 rumors since the start of the year as I would really like to get one.

    Today, I looked at one in-store and the display bugged me (compared to my iPhone 5). Probably not so much that I wouldn't buy one, but I was thinking I'd wait for the iPad mini 2.

    At the start of the year, people pegged a March release, then an April release, then a May release, then an October release, then possibly a June release at WWDC and now a December release due to retina based issues (confusing, sorry)

    How much should I let rumors impact my purchasing decisions? An iPad mini is not something I need ASAP, but I don't know if I can wait until December.....

    I'm literally just keen to hear some of your opinions on release date/anything iPad mini 2 and whether I should wait.

    This would help me a lot, thanks guys.
  2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2012
    /home @
    I'm on iPad 2 now, waiting for the release of iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 so that I can compare them before I buy. iPad 5 is rumored to be 25 % lighter than the iPad 4 and to have a form-factor which by itself will make it more comfortable to hold.

    Release date is known by Apple only, but I hope there'll be an announcement about this on the WWDC in June. I do want a retina mini, but I won't buy it until the iPad 5 is out anyway.
  3. fullauto macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2012
    Buy now, keep it in good nick and sell prior to iPad mini 2 release if the upgrades / retina etc. happen. You'll no doubt get a good return for your original purchase. Planning to do the same with the 13" Air I purchased a few months ago.
  4. Samtb macrumors 65816

    Jan 6, 2013
    It may be that even Apple don't know exactly yet, depending on what stage they're at with it.
  5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you have been following the rumors then you know as much as anyone else in regards to when the Mini 2 will be released. There is no reason to expect any new revelations, just rehashing of what you already know.

    There is nothing wrong with waiting for something you really want, you can buy the current one and sell it right before the new one is released. You will loose approx 30% on the value; if you buy a used one you might land a good deal which will take away some of the depreciation sting.

    It all depends on what your finances are like and how much you are comfortable loosing in resale.
  6. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

    Sep 26, 2012
    Caotbridge (outside Glasgow, UK)
    I am in the same boat. I have iPad 1st Gen (yes the heavy one), not longer gets iOS updates unless jailbreak, so I am looking for an upgrade but keeping me iPad for long in flight entertainment for vacations.

    I want an iPad mini for surfing on the got tethering with my iPhone 5 on journey to and back to work,which will make my bag lighter. Not sure if I should wait till iPad Mini 2 or a drop price how does retina display compare to normal display. My dad got a iPad 3 for Xmas last year. I am not a fan of it to be fair, it's still too big for a train journey and most of the time I am standing on the train.

Share This Page