Waiting for the new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hoverX, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. hoverX macrumors member

    May 8, 2009

    So I'm considering buying a new macbook pro. I want to wait for the next gen cause i'm hoping that they will introduce quad core processors just like their much cheaper PC counterparts. What is the current speculation on stats for the new MBP? am i right in guessing that they will be quadcore?
  2. AAPLaday Guest


    Aug 6, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Its quite likely that the next gen will use the new intel processors. Just when that update will take place though is far less certain.
  3. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    doubt we will see quadcore on a MBP due to heat issues. In any case, not likely till spring.
  4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Feb 1, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    Agreed, quad-core is unlikely. More likely is the dual-core Arrandale which is hyperthreaded (two threads per core), so it will look like four cpus to you. ;) Next spring.
  5. tofagerl macrumors 6502a


    May 16, 2006
  6. hoverX thread starter macrumors member

    May 8, 2009
    ok so no Quad core but what event do you think they will announce? The buyers guide suggests an announcement 3 months from now but i'm not really up on what conferences occur when.
  7. j5045096 Guest

    Oct 27, 2007
    Only speculating but I'd be really surprised to see Quad Core MBP's anytime soon. If anything it might be an option for the 17" top of the line, but I doubt it in the 15" and definitely not in the 13". Aside from the heat issues, cost issues and anything else, Apple is pretty practical in how they stock their hardware it seems... what percentage of buyers needs (or would even access) the power of quad core processors on a MBP right now? Again, just speculation, but my guess is very few. I mean I do a lot of A/V stuff on my 15" Pro and it's more than capable - if anything I'd like a SSD in it but I have serious doubts that I'm even pushing the processor to 1/4 of it's potential and it's a 2.4 Core 2 Duo.

    What I think we will see in upgrades is an even faster front size bus (1300mhz?) and maybe even faster DDR3 RAM (also 1300mhz) -- probably 320 gb hard drives standard with options for 640 or SSD's, slightly faster processors and that's about it for now. I think we're at least a year - probably 1.5-2 before a major change.
  8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
    CES is usually in January. Or they can just bump the specs without a big announcement. Besides, Apple doesn't want to use conferences as places to announce new products. It becomes too predictable and people don't buy cause they just wait for the next big thing.

Share This Page