Waiting for the next OSX ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by whitedragon101, Feb 14, 2012.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I buy a new laptop each year for work and am currently using a 2011 Snow Leopard Macbook Pro. However, replacing spaces+expose with mission control has made me wonder if the loss of productivity might make it worth waiting for the next OSX. Maybe they will make a better job of it next time.

1) Do you think the next OSX will appear on the 2 year cycle i.e in 2013?

2) Do you think apple will re-assess the interface options i.e mission control?

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. OSX iBunny

No. By then most of us will have given up and stopped complaining which in turn will lead Apple to wrongly conclude things are just dandy.

I fear the days of OSX being a work horse with a power house of features are over. :(

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

It's certainly possible. Exposé didn't stay the same either in the time between its introduction in Panther and the final implementation in Snow Leopard. A simple improvement, for example, would be, when you scroll over a window group in MC, to spread out the individual windows over the whole screen so that each one of them is uncovered, instead of letting them overlap the way they currently do.

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

That is actually a pretty good idea.

5. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The main things to achieve are:

- view all windows on all desktops and be able to move windows between them
    - view all windows on a single desktop

These were in Leopard and Snow Leopard and worked beautifully. If they come up with a better system or just a different one then fine. But only as long as they don't remove functionality or make is demonstrably worse as it is now with Lion and MC.

In 2008 when Leopard was out and Macs were unibody, the OS was good, the hardware was finally intel and you could use bootcamp if you needed it. IT Professionals and power users could finally buy a Mac and have power and usability. The "Macs are just a pretty box that you can't do anything real with" complaints had been addressed and Macs became a serious option. Lion seems to be the first step back towards the pretty but professionally useless box mentality. I hope Krazy Bill's fears do not come true otherwise the Macs day in the sun could be over.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Honestly, other than Mission Control I think Lion is the best OS X there's been. It's by far the fastest, it's more lean than other OS X and it has a bunch of features that I can choose to ignore if I don't want to use them. Other than the default check box to open all windows again at shut down/restart.

I'm curious how the Metro Win8 will be received as it will beat Apple to giving an integrated tablet OS with the desktop OS. The next Mac OS is possibly happening in 2013 based on pure speculation, but its feature set will most certainly integrate more iCloud and iOS features.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Integrated how (Win 8)? The Win 8 tablets will be arm based mostly and therefore require different apps from what runs on the intel based win 8 systems.

I think calling it Win 8 on the tablets is mostly marketing smoke. But, we'll see more information on it as release gets closer.

As for Mac OS... How does a touchpad that has a screen on it so it can work as an extension to your Macs main screen, mostly as a highly customizable controller?

8. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats why I'm hoping they look at mission control realise they really laid an egg with that one and start again.

9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Win 8 will be available as either ARM or x86 for tablets. A more powerful industrial or pro grade tablet based on x86 would really make a great extension of a user's desktop computer.

I've been waiting for either an OS X or Windows tablet that uses the same OS as my desktop and laptop.

10. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

People need to write and complain directly to Apple. That's the only way we'll at least have a chance of seeing improvement.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

maybe, I'm not privy to apple's internal time table but that does sound pretty close to the mark, though I suspect we'll hear about it in 2013 and not see it for a little later.

Perhaps, though I suspect they'll refine it, rather then overhaul it.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Integrated how? I don't know, that's why I'm curious!

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I do this weekly. :D

Strange though, I don't even get an autobot response with some lip service expressing thanks. :) I feel like that lady from the old Wendy's commercials who says, "I don't think there's anybody back there!"

So we complain here. In hopes that one of the only two OSX coders on staff takes a break and meanders this way. :D

14. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats a good idea. We we keep sending emails, and the complaints never go away it should send a message.

15. Damers macrumors regular

In what world? Lion is more bloated and slower than SL. Base memory usage for me went up from 860MB in SL to 1010MB in Lion. Once the useless animations start this goes up, things get choppy not to mention versions hoarding away HDD space.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Um... no.

You might like it's <cough> feature set but if you really think it's light years ahead of Snow Leopard in the speed department then there was definitely something wrong with your SL installation.

17. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Definitely waiting for at least the next OS X. But given that I'm hoping that that will revert mission control to expose, remove autosave/versions, turn off resume and make optional resize anywhere, I don't think it's going to be worth the wait - turns out what I was waiting for was Windows 7!

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Had the same thought but it just isn't the same. I boot camp into Windows every day only to find my trackpad useless and just miss the smooth gestures too much. Plus, Windows still looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price.