Waiting for the Obvious

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by relativist, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. relativist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #1
    2009 seems like it is going to be a great year for Macs, there are three major things that are happening all at the same time:

    1. New Intel Architecture for both mobile and desktop
    2. Major new OS update
    3. Possible GPU (nVidia) update for both mobile and desktop
    The new intel architecture is a major change, and SL sounds like it is going to be able to take better advantage of the new architecture. Also I've read that SL is going to allow for better utilization of the power of newer GPU's.

    Added to all that are the recent updates to the physical hardware, the unibody MB/MBP for a unified appearance for most Mac/Macbook hardware, and for the mobile platform, much more robustness. All this leads me to believe we are in for a pleasant surprise in the improved performance of this next generation of computing. So I've decided that, that next generation hardware/software that's on the way more than likely within the next year or so, is what I want to use.

    Right now I'm on a Macbook from march 08 (2.4G), which I never intended to be my primary computing device, but that's how things ended up. I need to get a better computer soon, preferably before my warranty runs out so I don't have to buy one, but also I want all those things I've mentioned above. I've got several options:

    1. Sell my Macbook, buy a refurb Macbook unibody. When all the major updates have happened sell the Macbook unibody and upgrade to whatever I need at the time.
    2. Same as 1 except get a refurb Macbook Pro unibody, or a new Rev B Macbook Air.
    3. Trade in my Macbook to one of those online places and get a new unibody MB/MBP/MBA, which will be sold when major updates occur.
    The thing about all this is that if I buy refurb, I do not know if I'll be getting iLife 09, or do I? So I would want to go to 09 also, for both iLife and iWork. When SL comes out, I could get it right away, or wait for the other 2 major upgrades listed above, and get all three with a new/refurb of the next Gen.

    So, what do you all think? My computing habits are all over the place, from serious number crunching, to FPS gaming, writing papers, etc. I really think I need a Pro, but like the portability of the smaller machines since I use my Macbook so much. Also let me know if I'm missing anything with the major upgrades I'm bringing up.

    I have not been able to find anything on the nVidia mobile GPU roadmap for this year, but 2H 09 looks like the soonest anything will happen because that's when the IGP type chip upgrade is supposed to occur (meaning the upgrade to the 9400m that will be based on the new nVidia GPU and support the new Intel architecture). Things are a bit dodgy on the nVidia stuff because I've also read that nVidia is not going to make a chipset for i7 core desktop chips. But I do expect nVidia to upgrade their mobile GPU sometime this year, and if they don't AMD is on track to.


    .......Curtis
     
  2. Styxie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Holland
    #2
    Sorry, this probably isn't the first reply you were hoping for, but what does SL stand for?
     
  3. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    #3
    In the context used by relativist Snow Leopard :)
     
  4. relativist thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #4
    That's right, sorry for not defining it properly. I've been using my Macbook a lot the last week since I've been sick at home, I was thinking that I'm getting tired of the screen, but it's probably just an overuse, I should just sleep/read/listen to music instead of surfing the web.


    .....Curtis
     
  5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #5
    I think you'd be better off just waiting and using your current computer until the "new" machines come out. In the end, what do you want to end up with? a macbook? or an imac? or a mac pro?

    At any rate, i don't think buying a machine now, then selling it is going to save you any money. it'll cost you.
     
  6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

    iknowyourider

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    onanorthboundtrain
    #6
    I like this option. Your current MB could sell for what? $1000? Keep it till your dream machine is available. Then get a MB Pro. I like the mobility of a 13" too. Personally I would leave my new dream machine safe at home and travel with my older worn-in machine.
     

Share This Page