'Waiting for Upgrade' syndrome

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac2maverick, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. mac2maverick macrumors regular


    Jan 19, 2008
    How many of you have been checking sites everyday with fingers crossed and credit cards ready - hoping that desired Apple product has just been upgraded and/or released? I know I have. It's like some kind of disease or something and I've caught it. Somehow it keeps the Mac community connected like a support group or something.

    What's your favourite acronym for this group?

    How about:

    MUSSA (Mac Upgrade Syndrome Sufferers Anonymous)
    SNAFU (Sleepless Nights Aching For Upgrade)
    DSUA (Damn Steve, Upgrade Already)
    WHEN? (Wondering How Everyone Naps)cause I can't sleep while waiting
    UIS (Upgrade Insomnia Syndrome)
    HDPMiT (How Do People Make it Through)
    MacPIMP (Make all computers Perennially Impressive Macbook Pros)
    Loser (Lost out sucker - ever ready)

    Create a better acronym here _______________________ We know you have enough time because you've caught the fever.
  2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    IGMAYSWFY " I Got Mine Already - You Still Waiting For Yours "

    I never gave it any thought.

    Woke up one day and said " I want a new Intel iMac " and the 24" looked darn good. Went down next day and snapped it up. For all I know an upgrade could have been announced the next day.

    I bought my G5 Powermac ( which I sold before I bought the iMac ) just before the Intel units were said to be coming. Sure enough three weeks after I got the Powermac they announced the Intel Mac Pro. People told me I was dumb for not waiting. Well I had the Powermac for almost 2 years I guess, paid somewhere around $2800, sold it for $2300. It had Apple Care with about a year left. ( made it easy to ask a premium price )

    But I a sure there are some out there who sweat the ' upgrade ' issue.

    I figure it I wait for the next update, when it comes out should I just wait again for the next one? :D :D :D
  3. dbam987 macrumors regular

    Aug 27, 2007
    lol, thats what i'm experiencing. i'm anxiously waiting for something to be updated on the mac mini's. fortunately my time table is march to get the mac mini so i'm not sweating yet. but if no news comes out by then then i'll be getting one march 1st no matter what.
  4. djwojo13 macrumors newbie

    Jan 29, 2008
    Well put. I just ordered my 24" extreme, i couldn't wait anymore. Plus like you said, applecare + mac = Resale high.

    When i sold my g4 to get the intel mbp, i got within $300 what i paid for it. So waiting is only good if you A. need to save up which i totally respect, or B. want the latest greatest hardware for 6months (or less)

    While i understand the "oh crap they upgraded 3 days later) I say, bite the bullet and buy buy buy, you'll be happier in the long run. :)
  5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 7, 2008
    Waiting is stupid. Theres always going to be something better, and faster 6 months down the road.

    In addition, I really dont see any recent technological advances that are worth waiting for, except for blu-ray. If I were looking for a new mac now, and thought that they would put a blu-ray drive in them in the next couple of months, than MAYBE Id wait, but that wont be happening soon.

    If your waiting, go out and get your mac and enjoy it while you can. You could die tonight and than never get to enjoy it,
  6. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 28, 2007
    I don't think the issue with something faster down the road, but rather that your 6 months is suddenly questionable. If you bought the product when it came out then there isn't too much of an issue since you know there will be a sizeable gap before an upgrade. It's when you buy the product a few weeks to a month later there is a new product for the same price that is significantly better. You end up feeling cheated.

    I think cars are a better example since the lifespan is so much longer and it illustrates a little bit of the opposite. Generally, a lifecycle is 5-6 years on a car platform. I know if I buy it I have the 98% solution for the next 5-6 years. Sure there will be some facelifts, and some new bells and whistles for added money, but I am most definitely not affraid that they will kill the 4 cylinder model at the $25k price piont, and replace it with the V-6 model for the same price! Rather, the 4 cyl, will stay and the V-6 will stay. It's the introduction of bluetooth, nav, etc. that change. Am I cheated? Perhaps a little, but I would have had to of paid that money regardless.
  7. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    JUBUKWN - Just Updated But U Know What's Next.

    Seems that the true waiting game sucker is the one that even at the update of the computer can't buy b/c they just heard what great thing is right around the next corner. Like when MBPs went from Yonah Core Duo to Merom Core 2 Duo, it was like but wait b/c the Santa Rosa chipset with 4GB RAM and such and such FSB is next - b/c 3GB wasn't enough. Then when SR came out, well you gotta wait for the Penryn chips to drop in b/c the 45nm die shrink means better battery life and increased performance, and when those finally do show up, it will be well wait for the Montevina platform b/c etc. etc.

    Part of the problem is that Intels roadmap says release at x date. Then the next thing at y date. When the x date update happens in Macs it is at least 4-8 weeks behind the official Intel introduction, making y date for the next release seem that much closer. No one stops to think that there will be the same 4-8 week lag again and that it really isn't closer. Then of course everyone cries, gimme gimme gimme already what's taking so long I've been waiting FOREVER to buy.
  8. mac2maverick thread starter macrumors regular


    Jan 19, 2008
    I got tired of checking rumor sites everyday and just bought a Mac Pro with a Nvidia 8800 GT. I was doubtful that Apple was going to come out with an iMac with a GPU that I would be satisfied with. Yes I would have rather had an iMac on my desk but the upgradeability of the Mac Pro and the single 2.8 quad core option finally decided it for me.

    Despite having ordered a new computer, I'm still addicted to daily checking what new products Apple may have come out with. Apple sure has a way of sucking you into the Mac cult. (I've owned an Apple for about 7 months and had only used them slightly at school/work.)
  9. memo90061 macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    im waiting for the new imac even if it doesnt have any big changes. it will be my first apple computer. im so tired of waiting though. i decided that if a new one doesnt come out by my birthday then im getting it.

    one time i got the 4G ipod and the next month the ipod came out and in color. i was so mad!
  10. sfs macrumors member

    Jan 24, 2008
    DSUA most matches my feelings on the topic... Unfortunately, I'm one of the few who could both benefit from Penryn (I'm in film school, so the extra boost from SSE4 would really cut down my rendering time) and also time locked on the order date (Tuesday, since I need to get to work on editing a project and our school doesn't give us much in the way of editing equipment - 10 computers for 144 students?!).

    I'm still debating whether it's a good thing that I've gotten hooked on MacRumors and the community here. At any rate, I'll be coming back to commiserate with the folks I've been waiting with even after my order comes in. I'm spending way to much time here, but having interacted with y'all has done a lot to improve my opinion of the typical Mac user. I guess I'd just run into a particularly snooty lot.
  11. Redge macrumors newbie

    Feb 9, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    Well, I think I got the "Waiting for upgrade" syndrome ;) but I think it's for the good reason. Past July I wanted to buy a new 20" iMac (2.16Ghz, white) and as I often read rumors site, I decided to wait since there was a rumors of a new model, not just a speed bump. So I waited patiently and Apple released the Aluminum iMac!

    -Nice job Apple!

    Well... Not so nice in fact... As I was reading many forums and Apple's own support discution, I quickly saw that those iMac had display problems and that affected nearly all units!

    Anyway, here I am now, waiting again for a new iMac revision and hoping that Apple fix the display problem!
  12. mac2maverick thread starter macrumors regular


    Jan 19, 2008
    I got tired of waiting for the new iMac update and ordered a Mac Pro but I still can't stop checking to see if the iMac's are updated. I check everyday - what's wrong with me? I want to know every time Apple updates anything.
  13. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

    Dec 4, 2007
    I'm not even sure I want one anymore. I am just addicted to reading MR :)
  14. mslide macrumors 6502a

    Sep 17, 2007
    Waiting is stupid. You want a mac? Then buy it! You could be waiting for 6 months, for what? .2 GHz speed increase? 6 months after you buy your mac, some better version will come along anyway. I bought a macbook about 13 months ago. I think that Apple has upgraded them twice since then (that new integrated graphics chip and a bump in speed)? Big deal. The only way I can see a difference between mine, and my co-workers (which is brand new), is if I set them up side by side and do a close comparison running some crazy intense game that I'd never run anyway. Do you honestly think that next month Apple will release a new iMac that has Blue-Ray and some top-end graphics card? No way. It's always little bumps here and there. The day that Apple comes out with a big fancy iMac upgrade, I'll be happily enjoying my "old" iMac.

    Go buy one! They last a long time and remain as fast as the day you got it.
  15. viva la ben macrumors member

    Feb 14, 2008
    I couldn't wait anymore. My 17" g5 kicked the bucket.

    I ordered a 24" 2.4 C2D.
  16. dbam987 macrumors regular

    Aug 27, 2007
    Me neither, my desktop is showing signs of eminent failure. It blue-screened on me for no apparent reason, and the hard-drive (gulp) is getting louder with each passing day. Thankfully I've already moved my files to my MBP for the time being.

    Currently bidding on a Mac Mini, and winning. Only 5 hours to go!
  17. kendaluk macrumors member

    Feb 14, 2008
    Get it lad.... I have my my Mac Mini and it's by far the best thing i have ever paid for :D

    I love it :D
  18. dbam987 macrumors regular

    Aug 27, 2007
    Arghh... I'm in a bidding frenzy and am now losing. This will be an interesting day...

    By the way, earlier today I saw quite a few on the Apple store's refurbished section but when I checked just now only 2 models remain. Had I not been winning that auction I would have just gotten it from Apple's site.
  19. rayward macrumors 68000

    Mar 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I'm waiting to see if there'll be an update to the iMac in the next month or two. Some rumours say yes, some say no. I would like to see the 2.8 gig chip (or better) in a 20" as the 24" is just too big for where I'm going to use it. And updates usually include other goodies like extra memory or disk space and price breaks.

    If nothing shows up soon, I'll get the 2.4 gig and be happy.
  20. basura! macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2008

    BITE IT: buy it today everyone - it's time
  21. dbam987 macrumors regular

    Aug 27, 2007
    I've decided to wait it out. I disassembled two of my computers to get spare parts from and build a machine using a cube case I had laying around. It's not the perfect solution though. I'd very much like to clean up the clutter on my desk and the cube I built takes up some precious space and sounds a bit loud to me, close to a jet-engine, but not enough to bother me much. If Apple comes out with a head-less Mac tower that is in the sub-$1000 range that has a dedicated graphics card and at least Santa Rosa, I will pick one up without hesitation.
  22. spriter macrumors 65816


    May 13, 2004
    Hah, I'm in the market for a 'new' (older revision) Mac - either a Mini, iMac or MBP. I'm playing the waiting game to see if a new release drops prices on the earlier revisions I'm after. Typical how all three models are due an update right around now :rolleyes:

    Hurry up Apple. Just update one line next Tuesday, please?
  23. PNW macrumors regular

    Feb 7, 2007
    Problem is I want OS X but there's no Mac I really like. I'd talked myself into an iMac but then I took another look at the glossy screen and changed my mind. Give me a matte option on the 24" iMac or dedicated graphics that can run dual monitors on the mini, and I'll buy and never look back.
  24. BlackMax macrumors 6502a


    Jan 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    My favorite is:

    DSUA (Damn Steve, Upgrade Already)

    Still waiting on an iMac with a realistic graphics card so I can convert the last remaining PC in my house, my kids 4 year old gaming PC, to a Mac. :D

Share This Page