Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
These things have the performance. These things are called "pro". These things are costing $2000+. Where is Xcode? Why is apple the only people holding me back from using this as a pro machine? Cmon, apple.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I’m waiting for iOS 13. I have a felling that this will be deja vu. Back in 2015 Apple announced the original iPad Pro and offered no pro functionality, they they went on and release iOS 11 and it was all iPad released features. I can not wait for next June. Everyone is going to blow their minds when they see X-Code, final cut and any other features.

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
I’m waiting for iOS 13. I have a felling that this will be deja vu. Back in 2015 Apple announced the original iPad Pro and offered no pro functionality, they they went on and release iOS 11 and it was all iPad released features. I can not wait for next June. Everyone is going to blow their minds when they see X-Code, final cut and any other features.

Maybe it won't. I'm not sure that many people care.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Throw in Terminal and all the typical user-land utilities as well and it will really be a "pro" machine for me.

I think it's only a matter of time until we have these kinds of things on an iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: frou

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Throw in Terminal and all the typical user-land utilities as well and it will really be a "pro" machine for me.

I think it's only a matter of time until we have these kinds of things on an iPad.

Blink is a pretty good terminal. I only ever connect to cloud machines or to a local machine that has usb and the other IO I'll probably still need for another 5-10 years. How would it help if bash and linux were running directly on the iPad?

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Blink is a pretty good terminal.

I can't believe I never heard of that. I just tried it out and it's awesome. I've been using Prompt 2 to SSH into various servers but I'm already sold on Blink since it can remap caps lock to escape (I'm a vim user). I also really like that it just dumps you into a shell and I can actually type "ssh <server>" instead of having to use a GUI. Bonus points for having the solarized theme built in as well.

How would it help if bash and linux were running directly on the iPad?

Same reason you want xcode running on the iPad... it could maybe open up the possibility of being able to develop directly on the iPad instead of having to SSH into some other server to do it.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Xcode is not particularly relevant for a lot of people's development, in terms of languages and tools.

IMHO the iPad will remain a toy for the majority of development unless it exposes the real on-device Unix environment, with package manager support (e.g. Homebrew) to be able to install 3rd party languages and tools. So probably never!

Remoting into a Linux server and working on it doesn't count. We could do that using a dirt-cheap Chromebook. Doesn't make sense to use a $1500 tablet as a "thin client".

Last edited:
Reactions: mdbradigan

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
In the mean time check out our app hyperPad. It’s an app that lets you create mobile games nd interactive on iPad with a visual touch based programming system. It’s a full editor and toolset, can export to Xcode (with a developer tier). Already have some games and apps in the App Store created on our platform.

Www.hyperpad.com

spacebro

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Xcode is not particularly relevant for a lot of people's development, in terms of languages and tools.

IMHO the iPad will remain a toy for the majority of development unless it exposes the real on-device Unix environment, with package manager support (e.g. Homebrew) to be able to install 3rd party languages and tools. So probably never!

Remoting into a Linux server and working on it doesn't count. We could do that using a dirt-cheap Chromebook. Doesn't make sense to use a $1500 tablet as a "thin client".

We're paying $300 for the computing functionality and $1200 for it to be thin and light enough to slip into a jacket pocket to go to the coffee shop.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
In the mean time check out our app hyperPad. It’s an app that lets you create mobile games nd interactive on iPad with a visual touch based programming system. It’s a full editor and toolset, can export to Xcode (with a developer tier). Already have some games and apps in the App Store created on our platform.

Www.hyperpad.com
The website says "... One Purchase with no subscriptions or in app purchases...", yet there are multiple subscriptions listed in the App Store.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 15.28.34.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 15.28.18.png

What gives?

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
What AutomaticApple is trying to point out is that you've tacked on a response to a thread that is more than two years old. The person who made that post two years ago is probably not paying any attention to this thread now. You'd be better served by starting a new one altogether.

Your question, about why their web site says one thing and the app store says another, would probably best be posed to the developer - ask them what they mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.