Waiting icon annoyance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. dannster macrumors regular

dannster

Hi guys :)

Every few minutes my 13" MBP completely stalls, video and music pauses, can't do anything with my MBP and the mouse icon turns into that waiting icon...I don't know what it's called but it's round with colours inside it.

Anyways, it stops me from what I'm doing for about 20 seconds and happens every few minutes and it's beginning to annoy me now!

Any idea's what could be causing it?

2. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Spinning beach ball of doom. Might be your HDD freezing up, but not sure.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Is your MBP being jostled around? This causes the HDD to lock up for brief periods of time (though usually not for 20 seconds). If this isn't the case, you might need to turn off the sudden motion sensor.
    Is the HDD an aftermarket upgrade?

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

5. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

Hmm, it does make that clicking sound when I pick it up to move it. I tend to carry it on it's side if I'm taking it to another room lol I believe that clicking noise is a mechanism which prevents the HDD from failing?

But, this problem occurs even when it's not being moved! How do I turn the motion sensor off?

I'm not sure what an aftermarket upgrade is, but I bought it from the Apple store a few days after they released the new models.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you hear clicking (not just when you place your ear up to the device), your hard drive is failing and you should back it up and replace it while you can.
    An aftermarket upgrade is one added after purchase from a non-official supplier (ie you buy an HD off NewEgg and install it).

7. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

Oh no!!!! I don't want it to bloody fail!! I've only had the damn machine a couple of weeks. *kicks macbook*

Why is it failing? It's not been replaced, it's the same HDD that came with it.

I checked those posts out, thanks Frosties - I seem to be experiencing the beach balls hell! But without the beeping, just the clicking noise. I upgraded to 1.7 and I think it started to happen after I updated!

8. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

if ur close to a apple store , take it in an have them see what it is. its under warrenty so everthing will be free

9. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

I've installed snow leopard and I'm not a developer lol Should I install leopard first? I don't want them to tell me my warranty's void for whatever reason!

10. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have a copy of an operating system illegally. I don't think we'll be helping you until you downgrade to Leopard.

Put in your Leopard disk that came with your computer and do a clean reinstall. Back up your files.