Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I have three stores within a 15 miles of my house (Chicago burbs), and am thinking of trying to queue at the one in the smallest town (population of 22k versus 35k and 55k). Only problem is that this one is located inside a mall.

Do malls typically not allow any lines whatsoever until doors open at 7AM, or do they often allow the queue to start forming outside of the building until it gets moved inside?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I have three stores within a 15 miles of my house (Chicago burbs), and am thinking of trying to queue at the one in the smallest town (population of 22k versus 35k and 55k). Only problem is that this one is located inside a mall.

Do malls typically not allow any lines whatsoever until doors open at 7AM, or do they often allow the queue to start forming outside of the building until it gets moved inside?

The local mall where I live allows you to line up through the night through the mall. I queued up at the mall last year... Nightmare... This year I'm going to my Carrier

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA

That's how ours works. The mall opens at 7:30 for the "mall walkers". Prior to that, everyone waits at a mall entrance in line. Then the line shifts in time. A few years ago I did this. I got there at 6:00 am and waited at the entrance the Apple employee told me to wait at a few days prior to the launch. I was probably 30th in line. Once the mall opened, we all found out there was a MUCH bigger line at a different entrance and I ended up like 200th on line inside. It was quite frustrating. I called & asked again but expect that something like that could happen again. This time I'm going to make sure I just go to the entrance closest to the store.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
I did my local Apple Store last year which is located in a mall. Got there at 3 AM. They let us form a line at a particular outside door to the mall. But we had to stay outside. They let us in at 7:45 AM.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Starting to think going to a standalone AT&T store may be better than a mall-based one. Still undecided.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I camped out for the iPhone 5 two years ago. We had to camp out in our cars until around 5AM, at which point they let us form a line at the mall entrance closest to the Apple Store. They let us in the mall shortly before 8AM.

skeeter76

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I canceled my preorder. I had a shipping date of mid Oct, for the 64 G 6+ silver. I figure I just hit up the slowest AT&T store and pick it up and be out the door. It seemed to work for me the last four times starting with the iPhone 4. For the 5s I was 6th in line and was gone by 8:30am.

skeeter76

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I don't think it's necessary to talk to management. I think they all tell you what you want to hear. I've been going to the same AT&T for the last four releases, and I've gotten the color and gig that I wanted all four times. It's one of those stand alone not so busy locations, that's off the beaten path.

EcuadorianMami

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Somehwere in Los Angeles
i want to go to a At&T inside the mall, never lined for an iphone before, always preordered...sounds like such a headache going to a mall to line up....and....going to a small at&t store might not have what i want....might get screwed either way....

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This will depend on the mall. I can gaurantee they have had people line up before (unless the Apple store is brand new) so security should have an easy answer for you.

Keep in mind they may tell you one rule and enforce another. At our mall I was told no lining up before midnight. I got there at 11 and the line was 150+ strong. Security were patrolling and simply not giving a S^&%. Needless to say I was disappointed.

mr1581

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
went to local ATT store in philly last two years...showed up around 6am.. was 5th in line, watched a movie on my ipad and then doors opened... was super easy

skeeter76

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I guess it depends where you live and if you have any AT&T locations that's not all that popular, I have a few in my immediate neighborhood. One in a major busy suburb and a couple more that's kind of rural. I wouldn't dare try to go to my local Apple store, seeing as tho everybody flocks there like it's no other major carrier that's going to have the iphone. Hell they all come from Foxxcon!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I guess it depends where you live and if you have any AT&T locations that's not all that popular, I have a few in my immediate neighborhood. One in a major busy suburb and a couple more that's kind of rural. I wouldn't dare try to go to my local Apple store, seeing as tho everybody flocks there like it's no other major carrier that's going to have the iphone. Hell they all come from Foxxcon!

I prefer anything over a carrier store. Most are so disorganized and understaffed it isn't even funny.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
last year i went to att about 6am was number 7th in line to only find out when they open at 8am they had one iPhone 5s gold and it was 64gb and the rest space grey and at the time gold was the popular color. in my opinion its a hit or miss at least lining up at the mall to purchase from apple your chances are better getting the most popular model

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
last year i went to att about 6am was number 7th in line to only find out when they open at 8am they had one iPhone 5s gold and it was 64gb and the rest space grey and at the time gold was the popular color. in my opinion its a hit or miss at least lining up at the mall to purchase from apple your chances are better getting the most popular model

My goal isn't to get the most popular model, but to get the phone I want. This year I want the 6 or 6+ space grey 64gb... As long as I can get one of the two I'll be happy...

skeeter76

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
All I need for the AT&T salesman is to do is activate my iphone, I can do the rest. I'll back my 5s up to my iCloud the night before and I'm good. And I guess it depends on what AT&T store you visit. I came across some disorganized ones, and I came across some very good ones. I had some real goofball apple team members, and I had some excellent ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.