Waiting list - silence before the storm??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am one of those people who decided to wait for the Mac Pro update. I kept checking the forums for a while reading people's opinion and I suddenly realized that all the talk ended. Could that be called "The silence before THE storm!" ?

Intel should drop their prices today and I have to admit that I even started to have dreams about Apple updates. Are you all as excited as I am or have you all given up and don't care anymore?

I do hope that the update comes in next 2-3 tuesdays as this is really painful. :)

P.s.: Sorry Manforcer - I already know what you think so there is no need to say it again, please. This thread is simply a check up for the people who are also on the waiting list. Friends tease me to forget the apple and buy general PC. The updated Mac Pro is going to be my first Mac so I will then call myself a Switcher. :))

I hope to see you all soon on tuesday with threads like: "Mac Pro on order" or "thanks Apple" :)

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a Mac Pro already, but I am waiting to see what the 3rd revision of the mac pro is, since that is probably my next desktop. Hopefully it's out by the end of 2008, or early 2009.

On a related note, I am due for a new laptop by the end of the year, so hopefully a new Macbook will be out. Or, at least have the poor Q&A of the MBP resolved.

An imac for home would be great too. Probably for christmas.

Don't you hate waiting for Christmas? I always want to know what presents will be under the tree. Hopefully this year, santa comes early?!

3. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

hello. been waiting a month now.

can hold out as long as it takes i guess, i will not buy the current mac pro :)

(and yes i guess that means i don't NEED the mac pro, but that doesn't mean i don't WANT it ;D)

4. sectime macrumors 6502a

Hi All,
    First post, I have been reading the site for sometime, researching about switching from a PC. After an internal struggle that left me with no fingernails, I decided to switch...almost. Then I started reading the rumors about new shiney stuff. So I decided to buy upscale (for about 15 minutes in dog years) A MP 3.0 Quad 8 with a 1900, two 500Gb, 4G memory. I just got it running. What a machine. Something must be up because the reseller knocked $600 off without me asking. Unless the new hotness has something over the top better, I"m happy:cool:

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I'm still waiting, as I am sure MultiMedia is (his deal didn't go through) and as I am sure suneohair is (should be back from his "break" soon).

The Intel price drops on Xeons happened today, so maybe this Tuesday or next Tuesday we'll see something.

I went on Apple feedback site and wrote them saying that they'd sell alot more Mac Pros if they updated them.

August 7th = Mac Pro one year old. One year without updates. :mad:

6. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Don't you consider octo to be an update?

7. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

It is an update/addition to the line. The line at the main 3 price points have not budged.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

No, I consider that an "option"; a drop-in CPU addition. The video cards are still a year and a half old.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's just sad that their portable line has better graphic cards...

10. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not to mention that PRO laptops have more memory too. I can't wait for the update but I will not buy until they update it. As I mentioned before I am a pc guy who is going to switch and I have to say that in PC world nobody would buy old technology for £1700 price tag. I understand that Apple is different but since they switched to Intel they should keep the updates similar to PC otherwise they will not get more customers except Apple fans. Please don't flame this post as I am aware of your responses from previous threads.

11. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

I'm waiting...

I was hoping for an update to Dual Quads across the line now when Intel have dropped its prices.

But then again, I always tend to wait forever when I wait for something.
    So I'd say that the next update will come in the end of september, even if it bugs the hell out of me...

The Mac Pro will soon have its first birthday, hopefully it'll get a few birthday presents ;)

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've pretty much given up on the Mac Pro being updated - they could drag it out as long as January 2008 at Macworld. Maybe Apple will surprise me and update it sooner, but I can't keep waiting. I've been on the fence between that and an iMac - so I might just get the new iMac that's supposedly coming in August.

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow though... ;)

13. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did Intel actually drop the prices? I can't find it anywhere.

14. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

No I wouldn't call it that. I'd call it "boredom". You can only talk about what you think is coming for so long. Eventually you just over-discuss the subject - you discuss it to death.

The portable line has newer graphics card. I'd hardly call it better as the best desktop video card still whips the pants off of the laptop card.

15. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Wouldn't a new video card also be nothing more then a drop in option? Granted you need to wait for Apple to offer the drop in option, as you can't drop in just any card, but I do not see a new video card being any more of a product upgrade then a CPU. I've haven't been much of a gameplayer since making the switch last October, but are there really any games that the X1900 doesn't play well. I understand that a year and a half is a long time in terms of video card features, but it was always my experience that games lagged behind the new cards by a year or two. In other words a year old card should have new problems with current games. But like I said I haven't played any games in a long time so I could be way off base here.

16. DZL macrumors regular

i could care less about games.

what i do care about is paying top-dollar for a vid card that's been out a year and a half.

a year and a half!

17. newportmac macrumors member

I have been sitting with cash in hand for the better part of 6 months waiting for a new graphics card and 2gb of ram min... Still using my windows machine daily... It is PATHETIC a computer company can not upgrade a year old graphics card. I'll say it again PATHETIC!

I have been so tempted to say screw it and go buy an intel q6600 quad windows machine for under 1,000 now.. it will do 95% of what I want it to do.. but everyone raves about apple and its video editing ability so spend the 2500 instead of 1,000... yeah.. I sure as hell hope the 6-10 month wait is worth it not to mention the extra 1500 spent.. you know something.. apple isnt pathetic.. I AM to wait for a company to do something they should be doing on an ongoing basis..

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I agree, as I think most would. A move to a full 8 core range, or a new price scheme, new graphics cards and 2GB of RAM as standard, would surely be "Rev B".

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I feel your pain but we just went ahead and got our daughter a Mac Pro in March with the x1900 figuring that would last her for years and eventually she can upgrade the video, HD and RAM as needed. It was expensive but we didn't want her to have to wait.

I waited more than a year to order my MB Pro because I wanted a better card than the x1600. I bought a Macbook to tide me over and sold it now that the MBP is on the way.

The one thing I've found is you have much better resale on a Mac and get a significant portion of your purchase dollars back. I recently sold an old Powerbook Titanium 1Ghz with a dead screen for $410.

So sometimes you just bite the bullet and move on and when that next big jump happens sell and buy again. :)

Cheers,

20. DZL macrumors regular

wow, is your daughter a professional video editor?

21. Death Warrant macrumors newbie

I'm also still waiting for an update on the Mac Pro.

I want to replace my old G5, 2.5 GHz, 4.5 GB RAM with a Mac Pro and a 30" ACD no later than october/november (this year!). ;-)

My TextEdit app isn't running fast, so I need a new Mac Pro :-D

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

No, she's in 6th grade. She wanted a Mac but is visually impaired so a laptop was out and we did not want the limits of an iMac 24 (drives/RAM) so a Mac Pro with a 23 inch screen was the only option at the time. Over the next 6-7 years she should get very good use and no need much else for her computing needs.

Cheers,

23. peiffman1 macrumors newbie

I think we will see a series of updates soon.

Basically like what happened last year. Suddenly everything was long overdue. And there were like 3 events and several silent updates in the course of a few months. I'm guessing at the least you'll see Mac Pro/iMac/Mac Mini/iPod/iPod nano(can't remember when those were last updated?) updates by the end of september and then the notebooks at MWSF. I'm not saying these will all be huge updates, but at least bumps. And in the case of the mini an update could mean dropping it or replacing it... hard to tell at this point.

Personally I'm in the market to replace my 1.2 ghz iBook... but nothing pressing unless it breaks so I'm waiting til Feb and then buying regardless. I won't need a new desktop(probably going with a mac pro) until some time next summer, probably just short of a year from now.

24. DZL macrumors regular

cool - i'm just always interested in what people are using their mac pro's for...

congrats - i hope your daughter gets years of use out it --

dzl.