Waiting on line but already preordered.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjespo22, Sep 20, 2012.

  1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 27, 2007
    Staten Island NY
    I pre ordered but my delivery isn't until October 5th so If I wait on line and get into the store and they actually have a 64gb in black like I want can I just cancel my online order and pick one up then and there in the store?
  2. leenak macrumors 68020

    Mar 10, 2011
    If you are waiting at an Apple store and ordered from Apple, I've read that the Apple store will cancel your online order for you.

    For others, I think you'd want to cancel as soon as you know you are getting one if you have an internet enabled device with you.
  3. OneMike macrumors 603


    Oct 19, 2005
    I don't think that would work as smooth as you want it to.

    When you cancel, at a minimum your eligibility date likely won't reset automatically. You'll probably have to pay full price at the store.
  4. fishmd macrumors 68000


    Jun 18, 2008
    Sunny South Florida
    Apple probably can cancel it for you. The real question is wether or not you will get your upgrade status correctly sorted out right then and there. This is up to your carrier and not Apple, so if ATT servers are slamed for example, it may take some time for their system to update your upgrade eligibility status appropriately after the order is cancelled. You may get stuck having to pay full retail for the phone.
  5. spencers macrumors 68020


    Sep 20, 2004
    Yep. I ran into a huge problem getting my brother's iPhone 4S. It was backordered from Apple and wouldn't ship for a few weeks, so I went to a Radio Shack out of town. They said that ATT said I wasn't eligible for the $200 price. I called up both ATT and Apple and they said if I cancelled the order, it would take several days for the upgrade eligibility to appear back on the account.

    Ultimately I wasted most of my day (and gasoline) figuring all that out. Hope this helps!
  6. Bigeastbull macrumors newbie

    Sep 14, 2012

    I'm in the same boat here. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem to just cancel at the store once I secured an iPhone 5 on Friday.

    Even if you have to pay full price initially to get the phone, will a refund be recoverable once everything goes through? If that's the case I don't mind as long as I can get my money back.

    I'm calling AT&T now to verify, but was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience or is in the know.
  7. rsnc macrumors regular

    Aug 17, 2012
    i cancelled my apple.com preorder on sunday night

    when i cancelled i immediately dialed the number from my att phone to check my eligibility...it was restored instantly (not sure if this is the case for everyone..but it took no time at all for mine)
  8. Bigeastbull macrumors newbie

    Sep 14, 2012


    Just got off the phone with AT&T, and I cancelled my order through premier and my upgrade eligibility was restored instantly.

    I tried to ask whether I could keep the order, pay full price tomorrow, and then recover a refund after I cancelled my preorder, but it did not appear that she understood me and was not clear on if this would be possible or not, so I just cancelled.

    Lastly, I was on hold for about an hour just to get somebody on the phone, so trying to call tomorrow while in line after knowing you will be getting one probably won't be easy to do as I expect their call volume to only increase from today. Just my opinion here.

Share This Page