Waiting on UPS

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Waiting on UPS to deliver my iMac today. Ugh...I hate waiting!

Now - what to do with my old iMac that either has a dead video card or logic board, or both? I'm going to pilfer the 8 gig ram from that machine and prob the hard drive. Don't know what I'll do with the carcass.....door stop?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, there's a good chance the older RAM is a lower speed than your new machine can take. I'm no RAM expert, but I think that mixing speeds of RAM can be problematic. And sure, use the old iMac as a doorstop. Why not.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

Now - what to do with my old iMac that either has a dead video card or logic board, or both? I'm going to pilfer the 8 gig ram from that machine and prob the hard drive. Don't know what I'll do with the carcass.....door stop?
Take out the innards and turn it into an aquarium for thin fish.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

You can definitely resell the removable "glass" from the front, the LCD panel, Superdrive, etc. Lots of folks looking for parts on eBay for older Macs. Just depends on how much of your time you want to take up trying to part it out...

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, there's a good chance the older RAM is a lower speed than your new machine can take. I'm no RAM expert, but I think that mixing speeds of RAM can be problematic. And sure, use the old iMac as a doorstop. Why not.
Oh I had no idea! I'll have to look into that. Thanks.