Waiting to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deuce22, Oct 23, 2009.

1. deuce22 macrumors newbie

Hi.

For the last couple of months I have been waiting to buy a mac laptop. I have been thinking of getting the macbookbook pro, but Apple have just updated the macbook.

Is there much of a difference between the new macbook and macbook pro and is the pro worth the extra £100.

The problem I have is that I will have to buy either one from Curry's or PC world. I have an insurance gift card for those 2 stores, so unless I sold it on it would have to be from either of them.

I have been told to sell it, but expect to lose about £100 at least. Doing this seems a waste of money, so I am unsure of what to do.

Also it's annoying that no one seems to know when new stock is being delivered. Pc world and Curry's don't have the new stock and I don't won't to be paying full price for old stock.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Greenman85 macrumors regular

i would wait a couple of months or longer to see if

a. the macbook price drops
    or
    b. the remake the 13" macbook pro.

they aren't going to keep these 2 models so close to each other in specs and price. be patient.

3. deuce22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind waiting a couple of months, but I have been told that it could be as long as 6 months before they update the pro.

I need a laptop for the start of next year, but could be waiting for nothing if they decide to apdate later.

Why can't Apple just give you an idea of when they will be updating.

Thanks.

4. vant macrumors 65816

Because no one would buy laptops until they were updated.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple won't tell people when they're going to update because then they couldn't pull the little bitch stunt they pulled on Tuesday just before the Windows 7 launch. ;)

What is wrong with the current line up of Apple notebooks that has you worried? Are they insufficient to meet your needs? If so then perhaps you need to look towards another laptop. I believe the notebooks available today will meet your needs. I believe that you could find yourself not having the latest and greatest in as little as 3 months. I believe your machine will run just as fast and smooth after it is not the latest and greatest. I suggest you buy when you need one. The only time I tell people to wait is if they really don't need one now, if there is an event scheduled in less than a few weeks, or if there are massive rumors, like the ones circulating around Tuesday's "event" that show enough cause for some of them to be plausible enough to actually happen.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would side with Jessica. on this, you can wait forever for the next big thing, but by the time you buy it technology is already out of date.

Buy one now if you have the money too, if not then wait.

7. heliuscc macrumors member

I would agree not buying old stock though from PC world. They still have some pre june MBP in stock and the old macbook.

8. deuce22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your advice.

I agree to some extent about buying when you need, but I do have a problem when it comes to value for money.

The MBP that is available now would be more than enough to cope with my needs, it's just that I don't like buying old stock for the same price as new stock.

The only difference I can see in the specs between pc world/Currys and apple is snow leapord. Does this keen that apart from the OS they will be identical. I realise that this must sound like a stupid question, but it confuses me why people are saying to not buy from PC world/Currys and buy direct from Apple because they are better machines.

What was the thing that happened on Tuesday?

Also is the MBP a far better spec laptop than the new MB.

Sorry if all these questions sound silly, but I am not that educated when it involves computer technology and want to get as much info before spending £8/900.

Many thanks.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need one now, buy one, if you can wait, then wait.

As others have stated, there will always be a better faster laptop around the corner. Buy one that fits a need, if the current crop doesn't fulfill that need wait.

Nobody knows when apple will update its line and they won't about to pre-announce it either, its called the Osborne affect

Osborne computers, a pioneer in the early days of the PC talked up his new version so much that people stopped buying his current one. He ran out of money and was unable to produce the new latest and greatest machine.