Waiting to replace 27in iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtap, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jtap macrumors member

I am on my third iMac replacement. While this screen has nowhere near the yellow tint problems I had with my first two, it still is very apparent in the lower right of the screen. It also has two dead pixels and the gray banding.

I am now at the point where I do not want to go through the hassle of shipping this one off for a replacement and being out a computer for 2 more weeks. I also don't want to move over all of my apps and documents again. I just got off the phone with an Apple rep who assured me that I can wait up to my first year's warranty and come in and get my screen replaced free of charge. (after actually trying to explain to me that there is an "ambient light" sensor inside it that may be throwing the screen off, what...???) :confused:

I am planning on waiting at least a few more months so that I can be sure that this screen problem is done with. This is my first big Apple purchase, I have been a devote PC user for many years.(talk about a bad time to switch over :rolleyes: ). Does anyone know if I will have any problems if I wait till the end of my warranty to do this? I figured if I called in with my problem they will at least see it on their books that I had the problem right after receiving the machine. Thanks!

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

IMO, if you wait, you're shooting yourself in the foot (that's for anything regarding repair of any item at any manufacturer). Kinda makes it hard to complain if you utilize it for a year before getting it fixed. IMO, its easier to just ask for a replacement or shop somewhere else.

Basically, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

3. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Don't beat yourself up. Return it for a full refund and wait until the problems are sorted out. Right now it seems all iMacs will have some yellow tint in them. Either live with it or get a refund. These new iMacs ALL have some degree of yellow. Maybe next revision they will fix this. However, its not worth the effort to return and replace over and over as all the iMacs will have some yellow.

Good luck with your decision.

4. mystikjoe macrumors regular

have you broken in to everyone's house that owns an imac? i'm positive you don't own one so please don't give feedback on what you have read and not what you have seen! i take it you don't have any stock in apple! :)

5. swee5420 macrumors member

There are good screen existing. My 1st replacement has a descent screen, no yellow, but sadly the superdrive was faulty, so it has to get replaced again.

When i received my 2nd replacement, the screen was totally yellow, and now waiting for the 3rd.

6. jtap thread starter macrumors member

The unit is question was bought at my local Best Buy, so I can't return it as I am over the return policy date. My only option is to get a screen replacement under my one year warranty.

I also live 3 hours away from my nearest Apple store. The rep on the phone instructed me to go to a little computer repair shop I never heard of about a half hour away - which I will definitely not do as they probably have no experience with this unit what so ever.

My main reasoning in waiting is that hopefully by then the screens will be fixed. I am just hoping that I will not have any problems. The screen obviously has this issue, just hoping the Apple store will not give me any problems in a couple months.

7. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't wait. Go to the Apple store and tell them that this is your third screen and they should give you a new iMac on the spot. Regardless of the purchase date. Let them now that you live 3 hours away and that you need this machine. Wait for them to offer you a new one. They will if you go in with a calm attitude. Waiting will not help your cause as another poster said above. Go ASAP.

8. natewsmith macrumors regular

I've not had any of the usual problems others have had with the 27". My problem is that the Hard Drive is louder than it should and so is the optical drive. Though with my second one I'm on now they are much quieter so I'm happy.

9. Raima macrumors 6502

I got the yellow tint issue on my 27" i7 iMac too. I bought apple care tho, so I can continue using my iMac while the repair centre gets a new screen. The new screen arrived yesterday, and they've scheduled a time to come out on Tuesday to my house and replace the screen.

Highly recommend purchasing apple care if anyone is considering a 27" iMac. If you've already purchased one, you can still get apple care as long as it's within the first year of purchase. Saves you from lugging the large machine around and not have a mac for 2 weeks. Easily worth the convenience!

10. pftr79 macrumors newbie

Apple Care for iMac?

Raima - you mentioned that the Apple Care allows you to avoid lugging the machine around/into an apple store. Can you clarify - I cannot find answers to my questions about Apple Care features - even on the apple website. I bought a 27" iMac (quad-core i7) about 6 weeks ago and an area on my screen looks "dirty" although it is not. Waiting to see how bad it becomes before I unmount it from the ergotron mount and bring it in to a store. -cheers

11. SkyMasterson macrumors newbie

WTF is the point of cake if you can't eat it?

12. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Get a refurb. There are none of these problems with refurbs.

Or, get 4 iPads and 4 docks and set them up on your desk. That'd be ****in awesome.

13. martam macrumors newbie

No probs with refurbs??

I have a r3efurb 1 mos old and it has a shadow on the display about 1/2 of the screen (left side) ....not too happy about it, and I live 3 hours away from nearest Mac store as well..... How do you phone and ask them for a display repair, and to have one in stock so i dont have to wait two weeks for it???

Thanks

Mark K

2.93 Ghz 27" Imac 8GB RAM 1GB Video (mid July 2010 model)