Waiting until Thursday's announcement...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nagooya, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. Nagooya macrumors 6502

    Nagooya

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Location:
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    #1
    I wanted to wait to play with an iPad before I actually bought one, I went to the store yesterday and fell in love with it! But... Apple just announced an OS 4.0 conference for Thursday, and now I feel I should wait until after that to buy an iPad, just in case they announce something that would change my purchasing decision... anyone else in the same boat?

    :confused:
     
  2. bjobes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    #2
    What could they change that would negatively impact your decision?
     
  3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

    Mac'nCheese

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #3
    I can't imagine that anything announced on Thursday would affect anyone's decision to buy an iPad. They are going to talk about the new iPhone os. Next, people are waiting for macbook and pro refreshes. The only thing that could possibly change about the iPad anytime soon would be the updates to the os and you can update yourself at home.
     
  4. andyblila macrumors 65816

    andyblila

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    On My iPhone, or my iPad?
    #4
    +1
     
  5. JReynolds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    Where the Air Force sends me
    #5
    Something for the iPhone that will make me lean towards its purchase this summer, instead of the iPad now...

    That's the limbo I'm stuck in. iPad now, or iPhone this summer.
     
  6. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

    Mark Booth

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #6
    On Thursday, they are going to announce the reason for the delay with the 3G model is that it will be the only one (of the two iPad models) that can run many of the cool new features in iPhone OS 4.0. All WiFi-only iPad users will be in mourning.

    Mark



    I kid... I kid! :D
     
  7. andyblila macrumors 65816

    andyblila

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    On My iPhone, or my iPad?
    #7
    Why not both? That's what I'm doing.
     
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

    rdowns

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    #8

    Yeah, we wouldn't want to buy one in case Apple adds new features like multitasking, universal in-box or cool notifications like Android. :rolleyes:
     
  9. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

    Mark Booth

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #9
    Me? BOTH! :D

    Mark
     
  10. sfwalter macrumors 68000

    sfwalter

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas Texas
    #10
    Also the new iPhone OS won't be available for at least a couple of months. They will probably release a developers kit but that will be under NDA
     
  11. andyblila macrumors 65816

    andyblila

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    On My iPhone, or my iPad?
    #11

    Nice! LMAO!
     
  12. Requiemm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    #12
    The only way I'll be able to wait until Thursday is if either of the following factors is true:
    1. The Columbia Mall Apple store is out of stock tomorrow night.
    2. SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) displays too much "wife-aggro" at the purchase
    I am going to the Apple store tomorrow night for a Genius appointment due to my iPhone 3Gs having a line through the display in the camera app and with all pics/vids I take. I tried a full wipe and fresh set up but it persists.

    That being said, I have little hope of making it out of the store without an iPad.
     
  13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #13
    Well since the iPhone and iPad are NOT interchangeable devices, I'd say you are confused. The iPhone will have a hardware update this summer. The iPad will not have a hardware update for the near future. One is a phone. The other is...well, an iPad. If you need a phone, get an iPhone.

    OP - waiting on an OS update for the iPhone/iPad is silly. An iPad bought now will likely qualify for a free OS update when 4.0 released. Remember, this is an announcement. The actual OS may not be released for months.
     
  14. Adam0306 macrumors regular

    Adam0306

    #14
    Hoping and praying that the announcement will go like... well here is OS 4.0! A little demo and O also we will be releasing the Verizon version in late June or July?
     
  15. Nagooya thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nagooya

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Location:
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    #15
    That's true, maybe waiting isn't really necessary. I'm planning on getting the 4th Gen iPhone anyway, since my current iPhone 3G contract is up this summer. I'll probably just go out and buy my iPad today or tomorrow then. :D
     
  16. xyion1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #16
    I wouldn't be too worried about the announcement (I'm excited though!).

    It's within the 2 week return window...if they announce something SO ridiculous that would make me want to return it entirely, or wait for the 3G model I can easily return it and only be out the restocking fee. If anything, they should announce enhancements which will make more people purchase who were on the fence.

    They could easily have waited before holding this event...the fact that its so soon after the iPad release is nothing but good IMHO.
     
  17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    #17
    Not everyone has that much money.
     
  18. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    #18
    I just wish they would get the 3G delivered! There have already been several occasions when the 3G would have been really nice to have and I am tired of my VP stealing my (soon to be his) WiFi iPad!

    If they want to update, do not let it delay the 3G as we can upgrade via the Internet later!
     
  19. MacMarf macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
  20. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #20
    But everyone has kidneys!
     
  21. Dorv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #21
    The iPad runs iPhone OS, right, so the updates to the os you're talking about will likely be announced Thursday.
     
  22. CaliLove310 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    Cali
    #22
    To me a very big deal breaker was the fact that it did not have any Java support at all. Or Flash, although the lack of flash I could accept. My brother bought one on launch day and yesterday at our University he tried using it with the campus wide WI-FI. Turns out they use a Java applet to log in to the network. :( that means no iPad at school. So if they would possibly announce java support, that would pursuade me to buy one too afterall. If not, I'm waiting for the Google Chrome Tablet :D
     
  23. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #23
    You have an iPhone 3GS. The new iPhone is not going to be that much of an upgrade over the 3GS. The 4.0 update is going to bring a lot of the best new features to the phone you already have. The other features of the new phone will likely just be small bells and whistles, like a better camera. Big whoop.

    The iPad is an entirely new device. I don't even know how you could be having this much difficulty with such a decision.
     
  24. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

    Trek2100

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    Location:
    Catonsville, MD
    #24
    I'll be at the Columbia Apple store by 3:00pm today to fondle it. My only question will be where is the nearest ATM (just in case I can't resist) and how do I hide it from the wife:confused:? I still want to see if Apple fixes the WiFi issues that some are having. I could give up some of the battery life for better reception. Perhaps there could be a "local", "distance" setting like the old FM radios. Oops, I guess I'm aging myself:D.
     
  25. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #25
    The availability of OS 4.0 for those who purchased an iPad on day one is one of the factors that convinced me to take the risk and pick one up on day one. I don't buy things on the first day very often but I like the tablet form factor and I like my iPad. I doubt anything Apple says on Thursday will affect my decision one way or the other. But I will be tuning in to one of the live blogs just to see what is coming...
     

Share This Page