Waiting, waiting, waiting....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aimee25, Nov 26, 2010.

1. aimee25 macrumors member

Okay I am probably going to get stoned alive for this but I am so sick of the - 'oh the next generation iPad is only a x months off, do you think I should wait? Yeah, I think I'll wait' posts. Dozens a week for months now. I am so over it.

Here is my big issue, the next iPad after that will not be long either! I get that it's a lot of money to spend but if it is something you are going to enjoy and make your life easier now, why put off buying it? Will the release of the new version in the new year really lessen your enjoyment of this fine piece of technology?

I think there are 2 camps those who wait - 1. because they want the kinks sorted out (a perfectly valid reason) and 2. those who just can't help themselves wanting the latest and greatest toys to show off. I feel like there is a lot more of the second group out there and I wonder how they get any enjoyment at all. They are always waiting for the new best thing or worried what they have is out of date. Just seems to me, that would suck all the enjoyment out of this 'magical' device.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

There are tons of thread titles that you are going to see dozens of duplicates of.
    "2 or 4 GB RAM?"
    "Is the iPad worth it?"
    "11 or 13 inch?"
    "Wait or buy now?"

The list is endless.

3. aimee25 thread starter macrumors member

True, but I think some of the those are actually worth debating.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Sometimes people have their own unique situation for some threads, but usually they can search the forum and find the answer to their question.

5. wirelessmacuser, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010

wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

While it may seem to some that there are two camps, those who buy now & those who wait, I see many more than that. If it was that simple there would be far less discussion. Viva le difference..:)

+1

I agree.

In addition I don't believe their can be too many threads or discussions. If that was the case most forums would dry up and die. So what if some label them duplicates? I don't see it that way at all.

Cheers...:)

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Some of us are godda** sick of answering the same questions month after month perhaps?

7. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I read something on these boards a while ago that made sense to me, and is part of the reason i'm waiting for the iPad 2.

Buy it for what it can do NOW, not for what it MIGHT do in the future.

The iPad was released with 256 megs of ram and NO multitasking. Now it can multitask, but not as well as possible because it's crippled by low ram. It wasn't made for multitasking and when it came out it could NOT multitask.

The iPad couldn't do what i wanted it to do when it came out, so i'm not buying an iPad until #2 comes out. I want some specialized, fancy iPad apps that allow me to do really great things that I can't do as well on other form factors. The only thing is can do right now better is 'browsing the web on the couch'. Well I browse the web just fine on my macbook pro.

By the time the iPad 2 is out, there will be more killer apps designed just for the iPad, such as note taker HD and the elements. Also by that time, the hardware will reflect what the more modern and evolved iOS is designed to do.

I also like the idea of playing a N64 or PS1 emulator on my iPad, which the current one cannot do with any reasonable performance.

I don't need an iPad now and i'm not going to buy it because it's sub par for what I want.

8. bri1212 macrumors 6502

I do, I believe their can be too many threads or discussions. if they are the same discussions over and over again. I don't have issues when someone talks about their situation, as long as they have tried to look up other threads and gained knowledge from them. But if the thread starts off with Should I buy now, or later, your going to almost always get a smart a$$ answer from me. Because their is nothing substantive to build on. Now when someone says " I am a Nurse, How can the ipad help me with my profession?" then it is a different thing, and something of value might come across in the conversation. But if you ask me if you should wait or should you buy the answer is always going to be wait. Because 3rd generation will probably even be better then second generation, and so on...

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This has always applied to tech purchases. What makes this practice so fitting in an Apple forum is the fact that unlike most competitive products, there are more impulse buyers here. Buyers looking for instant gratification, or looking to get their ego stroked when they are seen with the latest product from Apple. Therefore for these people function or need does not apply as the first priority. It's the "gotta have it" impulse they've had since childhood that still rules them.

For proof, simply read the hundreds of posts from those who are agonizing over their MacBook Air purchase decision: do they buy it with the 2GB's it comes with? Or is it humanly possible to live a few extra days while Apple builds one with 4GB's for them?

What? Have patience? What's that? ha... ha...:)

10. TomCondon macrumors regular

hi guys first post

Hello Mac Rumours! first I want to compliment you guys, been browsing here the past few days and its great for info about apple. I'm thinking about buying the iPad for college as I'm a good touch typist and I like the portability, but the reason I'm waiting for version 2 is:

1. I'm currently able to suffer along with my netbook, that really is a piece of **** , for my coursework.

2. I dont want to get the iPad now because while it is great, I can't afford a new one for a while and would appreciate a camera and slightly more RAM.

Also, on a side note, I have played with a friend's iPad and done some typing on it and find it great, but I'm studying Law in college and would need to use it for 3-4 page summaries, etc. Is there an actual problem with typing for a long time on it? like wrist strain, etc?

11. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

So you don't own the iPad, but are making claims that multitasking is not the best it could be because of 256 vs 512mb of ram? I own both iPad and iphone4 i can say that not once have i noticed a difference in performance. Also, apples product roadmap for ios4 likely had multitasking as a major feature. I'd think the folks at apple had that in mind when building the iPad.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

At first, I tended to jab the iPad surface with some force, as I had the habit from typing on physical keyboards, where you need to hit the keys with a certain amount of force in order to make them go down. This put a strain on my wrists somewhat, until I learned to just tap the glass softly. Once I got the hang of that, there's been no problems.

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Totally agree. My iPad multitasks just as well as my iPhone 4. There is a ton of false info from non-iPad owners around here.