Waived Activation Fee? (And More Prob.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, Jun 10, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

So, my family decided to all upgrade to the new iPhone. The three of us would all be getting the 16GB, so about $600 for the phones, and then an activation fee (another $100 added to that). Seems like a lot, especially since I noticed that the Online Store would allow us to go without the Activation Fee about two weeks ago...

Also, how would we go about doing this? With the new restriction of only one iPhone per customer, and only one per household, how are we to do this? If all three of us went together, would we be able to get all three iPhones? Would going to an Apple Store help? And if so, is there a way to waive the Activation Fee there? If this can be done without physically going to the store, please let me know. (Older folks don't want to get up and wait just for a phone, but they don't get us Apple folk :apple:.)

Have an answer? Want to brighten my mood? Leave a response below. :D

2. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Probably the only way to get more than the limit is to go instore as they can waive the limitation if you can talk them into it. There's no way to override it online.

As far as I know, the only way they usually waive the upgrade fees is if you're already on AT&T and your contract is up (not early upgrade)

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I doubt it, but it never hurts to try.

All you have to pay at the time of purchase is the phone price and tax. I thought and believed that the upgrade/activation fee was added to your phone bill and is due with that.

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I also was wondering about the limit per household. How is this determined? My mom and I both want to preorder the iPhone 4 and we're under the same AT&T family plan. Just us two.

She lives in Michigan at XXX address while I live in Indiana at YYY address. She'll be paying with her Visa credit card and I'll order with her American Express credit card (I don't have a credit card- only a debit and you can't preorder with that) and I'll pay her back. Will the Apple store raise a fuss about us being on the same family plan and getting two new iPhone 4s activated on it at the same time?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

6. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, we're not existing customers (we have Sprint).

And does Apple have that same restriction of one per household when ordering online?

7. dagored macrumors 65816

I posted in another thread. My wife an I are switching from Verizon, I was told from an upper level Apple rep, I could buy a phone and so could my wife. Not a problem. I then asked about the AT&T Family plan.

He told me I would have to go to an AT&T store or an Apple store to set up the Family plan, it could not be done on line for new customers.

8. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, okay, then. Can you pre-order from the store?

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

10. dagored macrumors 65816

Yes, I called my local Apple store and explained the same story and was told by the manager that if she came with me next Tuesday, we each could reserve a phone and the following Thursday, we could come up and purchase the phones, transfer our Verizon numbers and get the family plan.