Waiving restocking fee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unagimiyagi, Jul 25, 2010.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I ordered a 17" antiglare. Is this considered a customized computer and therefore no longer returnable? If so, then how do 17" antiglare computers get stocked into the Apple refurb store?

The issue is that I got the 17" antiglare, and it had a dead pixel. There's an exchange on the way, but I can't wait that long b/c it will have been about 3 weeks by the time I get this thing.

I now see the Microcenter deal, so I might get the 17" from them instead.

When I get the new 17" antiglare from Apple, it will be unopened. If I try to return it, will they charge me a restocking fee? Anyone know what to say?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Nope. The restocking fee is only for OPENED products. Unless you open your MBP, you won't be charged.

If I look at my recipt for my MacBook Pro 13" it says $129.99 fee IF OPENED.

Everything is perfectly fine and they will take your MBP no questions asked back as long as you don't open it. I've done it before myself with a CTO iMac.

3. Baral macrumors member

You can return the 17" antiglare no problem. It is not considered customized. (Just as an FYI, when Apple says customized, what they really mean is engraved, not custom built options.)

However, I'm not totally sure of the restocking fee. Yes, it's true that there is no fee for unopened items, but two problems:

1. Returns are valid for 14 days from original purchase.
    2. Technically, you did open the original package, this new MBP is merely a replacement.

Call Apple and explain your situation and they'll give you a definitive answer.

But 100% on the fact that you can indeed return an antiglare MBP.

4. csunflip macrumors regular

Just returned my open 13" for a 15" upgrade...

With no restocking fee...

Told him the 13" gave me headaches!!! =)