Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Posted this on the regular Mac OS X but no replies so......

-------------------------
Finally put my iMac G5 (Leopard with all updates) back together after fixing the psu. Been looking at maybe using it as an itunes server, amongst other things. So the ability to wake it up from another mac on the same network is interesting. Been trying a few different pieces of software - Wake 550, WakeOnLan and then tried Apple Remote as a fault finder.

If i put the iMac to sleep normally and then try to wake it immediately (say within 10 minutes) then all 3 of those packages work. But if it leave it sleeping for a while - not narrowed that time down, but say for at least an hour, then none of them will wake the iMac. I need to go the keyboard and wake it locally.

I've removed the LAN switch/router from the equation by using the 2nd ethernet port on my MP with a direct cable to the iMac.

After a fair bit of googling, i found a non Mac reference to using the broadcast IP address (with MAC address) for WOL. This looks like it might be the solution - need to do some more testing to make sure. It appears to work on Wake 550, as it's easy to amend the IP address to x.x.x.255, seems to be possible manually on Apple Remote too, but I cant see any way to do it on WakeOnLan.

Can anyone provide more info/experience using the Magic Packet with Macs?

Incidentally WakeOnLan won't put the iMac to sleep either - so appears to be limited in usefulness for me.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I used to use WakeOnLAN with an old G4 tower. Worked fine to wake it up most of the time though. No pattern when it failed. I never needed to put it to sleep remotely since I could RDP into it and put it to sleep that way.

Some routers have wake on lan built in. Draytek for one will do this. Not cheap though.

I can't tell you why your iMac is unwakable after 10 minutes though. Does it leave any trace in the system log?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I generally dont have problems with mine either..... literally just ticked the box and it started working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.