Wake for Ethernet network administrator access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Ok, title says it all but it does not seem to work that way.

I try to access my second computer using Timbuktu on a LAN and the computer wil not wake up. Both computers are connected wireless (Airport) through a router....maybe this is the issue? Option in Energy Saver panel says "...ethernet network access..." and I'm going Airport.

Any suggestions?

2. tonycarreon macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2008

"Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" is a longer way of saying "Wake-On-Lan."

it's designed for wired ethernet connections. it's supported because the ethernet network controller is built into the motherboard.

the concept is simple: even with the computer off, a little power is still running to the network controller. when the network controller receives a packet ("magic packet") the controller sends a signal to the bios and the computer starts up.

additionally, just trying to connect is not sufficient. you need to send a "magic packet" which is just a fancy way of saying you need to attempt a connection on a specific port (0, 8, 9). if you do wire your computer you can download a pretty cool tool from http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/ that will enable you to wake the computer.
  3. herspanosuizaci macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2009
    feedback please, about effect of checking "wake for ethernet net admin access"

i shut down my mac pro each night; everything is off, monitor is asleep, amber light.
    i come in next morning, and machine is running (actually it's got a gray monitor screen, indicating the boot up didn't load all the Leopard system).

this mac pro is wired with ethernet, from a router that takes its incoming signal from an ATT DSL line. one other machine is ethernetted on this router (the router is a linksys with four lines out, and wireless signals).

i suppose somehow a "magic packet" is coming to my mac pro in the deep dark of night, and waking it. is this a certain explanation?

i have not loaded any packets, or configured my network to do any waking functions.

and i will un-check this irritating 'convenience' of waking if i determine my above explanation is correct.
    thanks for any computer goo-roo assistance on this "energy saver" issue.