Wake from hard sleep takes about 15seconds, rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Sep 18, 2012.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I love my macbook pro retina except for one thing...

Anytime I close the lid and allow the computer to sleep for x amount of time as soon as I open it up it sometimes takes up to 15-20 seconds to bring me to the login screen. I haven't been able to narrow down the exact time window but it seems like anything after 15-20mintues of sleep and this will occur. It almost always shows a blue screen until the login screen comes up 20 seconds later. It is usually VERY quick with like 5 mintues of sleep but it seems that after it goes into a "hard sleep" it won't load quickly as a solid state should.

Would a trip to the apple store be beneficial or is this a widespread retina issue?

Thanks for your response.

2. Rocky244 macrumors regular

It's not specific to your machine, however, it's not a widespread issue either. It's not an issue at all actually. It's a function of the computer.

When sleeping for over an hour (default setting) the computer will go into hibernation. In this state the computer writes the entire contents of the RAM (all open program information) to the hard drive of the computer. If I remember correctly, the benefit here is that it no longer needs to power the volatile RAM, because that information has been transferred to a more permanent home. Therefore the computer can operate in stand-by for much longer periods of time.

The "issue" comes from the fact that your computer now has to transfer that stored information back to the RAM in order to continue the operation of the computer upon wake from sleep. The content of your RAM is usually in the order of gigabytes, which takes some time to transfer, even with the powerful SSD in the rMBP. That transfer is the wait that you are experiencing, and is perfectly normal.

This will occur if left asleep for more than an hour. If you would like this disabled, it can be done. Check google for that solution. You can make your computer have instant wake no matter how long it sleeps. Keep in mind, if you choose this solution, and your computer completely depletes its battery while sleeping, you will lose all information not saved for that session.

----------

If you would like to see proof of this, go to Activity Monitor immediately after wake from "hard sleep".

You will see that Swap Used is now in the order of gigabytes. That is the Swap taking place for hibernation purposes.